Going for Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grandjapmaster1

Registered
Reaction score
Good evening divers, question...im considering about taking the divemaster course...I really want it. I have the necessary certs an skills to begin any time. But started thinking, i have 85 dives at the moment I would feel better if I had more dives under my belt, at least 120 only because to have more experience an not just jumping into it. My question is how does one determine whats a good shop to go through to get the best training. ..types of questions to ask, what services that shop provides....something that i KNOW i've made a right decision in choosing the RIGHT dive shop? Thanks all for yhe input.

Good evening divers, question...im considering about taking the divemaster course...I really want it. I have the necessary certs an skills to begin any time. But started thinking, i have 85 dives at the moment I would feel better if I had more dives under my belt, at least 120 only because to have more experience an not just jumping into it. My question is how does one determine whats a good shop to go through to get the best training. ..types of questions to ask, what services that shop provides....something that i KNOW i've made a right decision in choosing the RIGHT dive shop? Thanks all for yhe input.
You meet entry requirement for dm course with 85 dives. Are you ready? Only you know if you are or not. Just taking the course does not get you an automatic pass, you have to work and earn it. What or where do you plan on using this certification? Be prepared to pay a yearly fee to maintain the rating and pay for insurance. I would suggest a busy active facility. As to what the facility provides , the answer should be that they provide the course. You should by this time own all of your own gear. Be prepared to spend about $600 for the course,another $500 for books and. Boat fees ,entry fees, dm application fees, in all you can easily spend close to $2,000 for the rating.

I understand 100% what you mean about an "automatic pass"...that is NOT what im looking for. An its not fair to the ones who've earned this title....I WANT TO EARN IT. As far as a busy dive facility, im currently stationed at ft. Riley, kansas so theres little to no diving here. An to commute to the nearest dive spot is a pretty far commute (at least 6 hrs). I do understand the pricing for the course an some of the responsibilities behind it. Thank you for your input. I will take these things under consideration.

Take a look at the 5thD-X videos on YouTube. Can you be that still and stable while doing skills? To me, that's a prerequisite for helping to teach other people to dive.

I assume, from what you have written, that you are contemplating doing your training somewhere in the tropics where you can do a compressed course. From what I have read, make sure you understand what you will be paying for and what you will get, and what you will be expected to do. Some cert mills seem to use their pro students as cheap manual labor.

Not necessarily in the tropics, just a place with more diving. And id rather not do a compressed course. Id like to make sure im learning what's being taught.

Have a look at this list of questions. It might give you some ideas of what to ask as you make your enquiries...

Just out of curiosity, what are your objectives for doing the Divemaster rating? Are you taking it because you'd like to teach someday or because it seems like the natural progression of the ladder PADI presented to you?

As a product of a zero to hero course, I absolutely did not feel qualified to help students out as I was having issues myself to sort out while I was interning as a Divemaster. I did Divemaster mostly because I felt it was the natural progression, though I really enjoy helping to teach now that I've gotten my own skills up to scratch.

GUE Fundamentals absolutely helped me sort out those problems I had with buoyancy and trim, so I highly recommend Fundies or any other equivalent course such as an Intro to Tech class from other agencies taught by a GOOD instructor. Even if your objective in doing Divemaster is to be able to do the IDC in the future, I'd still recommend Fundamentals if you are unsure about whether your skills are up to scratch and it will also change your perspective on what good training should look like if the only courses you've ever taken are resort style ones.

Edit:
I feel like I should contribute to the OP's original question instead of just selling GUE. You could inquire about what the training schedule looks like and whether you get much hands-on time in helping out with pool/open water sessions. I find it helped a lot to have a lot of in-water time helping out students as showing them how they could improve also helped me to polish my own skills.

I think a lot of people considering going for DM think of it as just another class. It really isn't like the classes you have likely taken to date. You will be evaluated on your personal skills, dive knowledge, and your ability to lead divers and prevent incidents from turning into emergencies. You will be seen as a role model for students and your skills should be at the level you consider yourself to be a role model. You should be able to instantly react to issues you encounter underwater and prevent a student from panicking if they are unable to resolve the problem on their own.

In addition to those skills you should have a broad base of dive knowledge. Things like dive theory, equipment (to include minor repair/maintenance), and physics are areas you should be familiar. Take a look at some of the questions asked on the basic and advanced scuba forums here on SB. Can you answer most of them correctly, not just making something up? These are questions new students might ask you and you should be able to give the right answer.

Unless you are traveling and doing one of those DM internships at a resort in return for room/board or similar compensation, expect your DM course to take 3-6 months to complete, depending on how busy the shop is that you are training at/working for and how much time you have to be available to assist with classes there. My course took a full four months to complete, and that involved taking several days off work and pretty much devoting all my free time to the program. Another guy in my class took over a year to finish his. If your situation requires long distance travel to get to a shop, this could be a real hindrance. The DM course is not something you can complete in a few days. You have a whole checklist of things you need to complete and it takes months to tackle all of them.

The internship portion of the course where you are actually working with students, watching over them, guiding them, assisting them with issues, being a go-between for them for questions they might not feel comfortable asking their instructor, etc. is where you really learn the role of the divemaster. The classroom and pool sessions you do with your instructor aren't going to provide you with a lot of earth shattering information that you don't already know, nor are they designed to do that. Your personal skills need to be at demonstration quality. If they aren't, the DM course is not designed to hone them. You might need to redo a skill or two for your instructor to be satisfied with it, but you shouldn't be all over the place in the water. TSandM's suggestion of comparing yourself to the 5thD-X videos is spot on. You can also check YouTube for UTD Essentials or GUE Fundamentals for videos of what you should look like in the water.

You asked about what questions to ask. I would find out from your instructor (and make sure you are talking to the person who will be YOUR instructor, not just someone who works at the shop--you want to know what your instructor requires) what the cost is [broken down into course costs, quarry/boat fees, required books/materials, any materials your instructor wants/suggests you to have in addition to the required items (they may want you to purchase some of the instructor materials--which some are useful to the DM course)], whether or not the shop will allow you to use your own gear or wants you to purchase their brands or if they will allow you to rent their brands when you are working with students, how often they expect you to be available to help/how often your instructor is available, what duties/tasks are you are expected to learn/complete as a member of the dive shop staff during your internship, where the pool/quarry/boat is, insurance costs you may have to pay and any dues to your organization you are responsible for, and their general expectations of you as a DM candidate.

I think a lot of people go for DM wanting to attain the rating just to have it, and a lot of that is due to the way Padi and other organizations push it as the "next step" in their ladder of training. If you aren't planning on working (really it's more like volunteering) as a DM, there really isn't a point in going through the course.

For me, I got a lot more out of my UTD Essentials course than I did out of my Padi DM course. If I wasn't actively assisting with a shop, I would see the DM course as a near complete waste of time and money. I really fail to see why people invest the time and money in the course and then never or rarely assist with classes after getting the card.

I don't mean to sound overly negative, but it is what it is. My wife went through the DM course with me and I think she had a totally different expectation of what the DM course was and would be. She got the card and helped with classes for about a year afterward, but is not an active DM anymore. She would have been completely happy remaining at Rescue level and then moving on to the Tec classes we have taken.

I want to thank every who gave their input about this subject. I understand where everyone is coming from an I completely agree with some of the responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom