How Many Hours of class/instructor time should a well-run DM class take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LottaBeachNoOcean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm taking my DM class and it's feeling rushed. We're being told that it is an "instructor development class" but it's feeling more like "Watch this. Now you do it. Pass/fail." with little or no opportunity to practice and get instructive feedback before having to perform the skill to "demonstration quality". Is that typical?

How long/ how many hours of in-class/ in-water time should be scheduled for a well-organized, well-run, comprehensive, complete DM class?

I'm taking my DM class and it's feeling rushed. We're being told that it is an "instructor development class" but it's feeling more like "Watch this. Now you do it. Pass/fail." with little or no opportunity to practice and get instructive feedback before having to perform the skill to "demonstration quality". Is that typical?

How long/ how many hours of in-class/ in-water time should be scheduled for a well-organized, well-run, comprehensive, complete DM class?

DM class or IDC?

Both involve significant self-study in terms of academics.

As far as skills... the DM program is not there to "teach" demonstration quality dive skills. DMC's should be bringing those to the class with them.

As far as skills... the DM program is not there to "teach" demonstration quality dive skills. DMC's should be bringing those to the class with them.

It's a DM class, being described to us as instructor development or developmental. There was no stated or apparent expectation of demo quality skills prior to them taking my $$ for the course. I'm starting to think that this shop and the Agency are more interested in separating me from my $ than they might/should be in being sure they start with more selectively qualified individuals and turn out highly qualified DMs.

Are you doing any of this with the online component?

---------- Post added May 4th, 2015 at 11:34 AM ----------

It's a DM class, being described to us as instructor development or developmental. There was no stated or apparent expectation of demo quality skills prior to them taking my $$ for the course. I'm starting to think that this shop and the Agency are more interested in separating me from my $ than they might/should be in being sure they start with more selectively qualified individuals and turn out highly qualified DMs.

Be very clear that the "Agency" as nothing to do with separating you from your dollars - that is the shop and your Instructor.

If this is a PADI DM course, the minimum recommended course hours are 50, as per the Instructor Manual.

Last edited:

Did you ask any questions about what was involved in the course prior to enrolling in the course?

Did they ask you to enroll in the course or did you ask them?

Dive leadership development courses are about developing LEADERS not developing DIVERS.

Did you ask any questions about what was involved in the course prior to enrolling in the course? Yes, but apparently not enough.

Did they ask you to enroll in the course or did you ask them? They "invited" me.

Hawkwood - Yes we're using the on-line DM knowledge development component.

Just my 2 cents. In contrary to other courses that you may had prior to your DM, this one is a professional course and there is no recommended timing. There is plenty of things to cover and all students are different and have different needs. The goal for an instructor is to make a DM that can be use as a job. That will involve a lot from some students. In particular, I have never seen ANY of my student being good at all demo from the beginning. If you do what you've done during your prior courses, then you failed (ie.3 out of 5) and we need to improve it, that's it for the demo. It can take a lot of time and that's why you should have that time with your instructor even if you can work that out my yourself. Then you'll have to see how the instructor courses are build and how you can assist, not always easy. Then you have some self-study where an instructor can also help you and finally you'll have to know by heart how to work in a shop. Very briefly, that's it but that's a lot :) From my own experience, it is all the time tailor made and a critical point is in the relation between the Instructor and the DM.

"Demonstration Quality" is interesting. I have DMd for 10 or so instructors and found a fair bit of variation in ways skills are demonstrated. And I do believe each of these instructors IMO are very good. The key is probably to find out exactly how your instructor wants certain skills demonstrated...as well, which parts can be done swiftly and which should be done very slowly. Most instructors will say the slower the better. But it's like taking a college course and knowing what the professor wants. I've also seen a fine instructor (IDC Staff Instr. now) struggle once doing the equipment doff & don. It happens. Hang in there.

RJP: I agree that ideally, one should already be able to demo the skills when entering the DM course. But I believe this is a requirement to pass the course, so I would assume there is normally some work to be done on it, no?

I don't really agree. The DMC should arrive able to do a "3" on each skill, but has to learn how to do a "4" or a "5." Doing a skill competently (3) is not the same as demonstration quality. And none of the DMCs I've had could do ALL the skills at a 3 level. Some remediation is likely necessary.

3 is obviously a pre requisite otherwise your student failed their previous courses, or maybe just forgot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom