Interested in Working as a Scuba Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydrew

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a blog series that I am writing which I want to put up here. I know referring viewers to another site can be frowned upon by SB members but it just does not make sense to post the whole series up on these pages.

The series is intended to provide advice to new and aspiring instructors who are looking for work. I am not selling anything, just trying to create an open resource to help others.

Feedback & comments are always appreciated, good bad or ugly.

If you are a new or wannabe instructor then take a look at the series, it's totally free and I hope it helps:

Being An Instructor | scubawriter

"Dive pros need to make the divers around them feel safe and at ease. If you have never dived a particular site before a true pro should know how to wing and bluff it. Get the necessary intelligence you can from other dive staff and make your customers think it’s your 1,000th time on that site."
- David Joyce.

Nothing makes divers feel safe and at ease than pros deliberately pretending to have experience leading them.

Fake it till you make it!

Reactions: RJP
I think the point is around creating confidence through how you project yourself. A guide who is obviously nervous and lacking confidence will create an unsettled feeling with some divers, especially those lacking experience. This can lead to a dive starting in a bad way and may lead to further problems.

In the hypothetical situation listed, the guide is not pretending to have experience, he has that as a dive leader. He or she is aware of the diving in the region so is capable of getting everyone down and back up again, I feel Davids point is that they should do this in a calm fluid manor that promotes a settled feeling amongst the group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom