Deciding on an IDC - Indonesia or Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

So I've been researching doing my IDC in either Thailand or Indonesia as I'll be knocking around those countries early next year. The hope is to then work as an Instructor for the season and beyond that I have no plans. I am aware I will not get rich. I just plan to travel and work for the next couple of years. I am a complete nomad and happy to go wherever the winds take me.

A friend of mine suggested that an IDC from Indonesia might carry more weight than from Thailand although more expesive. Would you agree with this? Another friend suggested the Gili Islands which I love anyway. A big consideration is cost. I was not born with a silver spoon, or a mummy and daddy who can afford to pay for my travelling adventures. So I have worked hard in hospitality and sought opportunities to do cheap diving on my travels. I've logged around 120 dives and recently finished my DM in Australia. Doing my IDC will soak up the last of my money so it's a big decision for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions about centres in Indonesia or Thailand. Also a lot of the training packages suggest adding on MSDT. Should I try and scrape together the money to do this or would instructor level be something I should aim for initially and get to MSDT somewhere down the line. Any advice would be wonderful....oh, and if there are any rich benefactors out there looking to throw a few grand to a good cause, that would also be welcome :wink:

To get a reliable job in Asia you'll need 2 or 3 languages.

Also, avoid Koh Tao if you dont want your CV filed under "bin".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom