http://www.diveheart.org/

Like Sharks? Let them live

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkfilms

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Help support sharks.
Are you aware that 90-99% of some large pelagic shark populations have been fished out in the last 50 years? Did you know that tens of millions of shrks are being killed only for their fins to support a growing demand for shark fin soup. Did you know that sharks are essential components of a healthy ocean, and removing them causes degradation and even collapse of the system?

Learn more at sharkstewrads.com, watch the film Shark: Stewards of the Reef, and take action!
Sign the online petitions to ban shark finning and halt the illegal trade of dried shark fin.

Let sharks live

www.sharkstewards.com

Sharkfilms:
Help support sharks.
Are you aware that 90-99% of some large pelagic shark populations have been fished out in the last 50 years?
Wow... that's a big number... Just curious... where's your documentation for that number?

fishb0y:
Wow... that's a big number... Just curious... where's your documentation for that number?

I'm with you I always approach with a little trepidation when someone throws out figures like 99%.... I'm not saying it's not true........

I'm with you I always approach with a little trepidation when someone throws out figures like 99%.... I'm not saying it's not true........

Source

Shifting baselines and the decline of pelagic sharks in the Gulf of Mexico
Julia K. Baum* and Ransom A. Myers
Department of Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 4J1, Canada
Correspondence to * E-mail: baum@mathstat.dal.ca
KEYWORDS
Fisheries • generalized linear model • marine • overexploitation • pelagic shark assemblage • population • predator • restoration
Abstract

Historical abundances of many large marine vertebrates were tremendously greater than today. However, while pelagic sharks are known to have declined rapidly in the northwest Atlantic in recent years, there, as elsewhere, little is known about the former natural abundances of these species. Here, we compare initial (1950s) and recent (late-1990s) standardized catch rates of pelagic sharks in the Gulf of Mexico, the area where methods of exploitation between these two periods were most comparable. We estimate that oceanic whitetip and silky sharks, formerly the most commonly caught shark species, have declined by over 99 and 90%, respectively. That the former prevalence of oceanic whitetip sharks in this ecosystem is unrecognized today is clear evidence of shifting baselines. Our analysis provides the missing baseline for pelagic sharks in the Gulf of Mexico that is needed for the rational management and restoration of these species.

learn more, see the film Sharks: Stewards of the Reef
sharkstewards.com

I was with you until you turned the post into an insult fest, what the heck! Instead of talking tasty snack and heart attacks, why not just continue to educate.

No more fins for soup!

Hey, you got me there... Well, I'm sure we'll have to wait a year for another delightful quip from our friend.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

g'day divers

please remember personal attacks are not allowed here at :sblogo: so in the words of a former great mod, lets play nice and keep to the topic on hand

cheers and thanks

???? I assume whatever the personal attack was, it has been removed cause I sure didn't see it.

Yes there are estimates of 90-95% of some species gone, possibly 99% for a few. Large pelagics are also down by similar numbers according to several studies including one by the PEW Foundation.

Yes, the personal comments which were rather rude were removed. This thread reads much "nicer" now!

im sorry it was meant to be funny, referring to fishboy's appeal to sharks. As someone dedicated to shark conservation I find the end of his statement offensive.

Im off to film blue sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom