http://www.diveheart.org/

Andrew "Red" Harris Foundation/ Building Artificial Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seebelow561

Registered
Reaction score
Andrew "Red" Harris Foundation Enhancing the Marine Environment

attachment.php

Andrew Harris loved our local waters, whether it was hunting for fish and lobsters offshore and in the Bahamas or just snorkeling and watching the “wildlife” off the beach in Jupiter and in the Intracoastal Waterway.

Tragically, Andrew died after being struck by a boat while snorkeling on June 8, 2014.

Andrew’s family and friends formed the Andrew “Red” Harris Foundation to make sure Andrew would not be forgotten. We think building and naming artificial reefs in Andrew’s honor is the best and most appropriate way to extend Andrew’s legacy for present and future generations who love Jupiter and northern Palm Beach County the way Andrew did.

The reefs we build will enhance our marine environment by creating important new marine habitat off the shores of northern Palm Beach County.
The Andrew “Red” Harris Foundation will create large new reefs in depths appropriate for SCUBA divers and smaller reefs near shore in depths appropriate for snorkelers. We expect that our first two projects will both be off Juno Beach, one in 30 feet of water, the other in 80 feet.

We are the only organization in Palm Beach County that exclusively builds artificial reefs.

All reefs will be created under the direction of the appropriate environmental agencies and the Palm Beach County Department of Environmental Resource Management (ERM) in pursuit of our common goal of enhancing the marine environment.

The foundation will work to make sure that the entire marine industry and everyone who enjoys fishing and diving in south Florida is aware of the common goals and benefits they share with the Andrew “Red” Harris Foundation. We will ask them to contribute funds or to help us raise money for our artificial reef building projects.

The foundation’s first fundraising event is our golf tournament at Tequesta Country Club on October 12, 2014. The golf tournament will have a great silent auction on October 11th and 12th with a treasure trove of auction items that can’t be bought elsewhere.

Non-golfers can participate by sponsoring the tournament or buying lunch and silent auction-only tickets for $25 through the AndrewRedHarrisFoundation.org website.

Please visit the website at http://AndrewRedHarrisFoundation.org to learn more.
You can also visit us on Facebook athttps://www.facebook.com/AndrewRedHarrisFoundation.

If you want to be notified of developments, send a friend request to Scott Harris’ Facebook page and you will get the latest updates.

If you are curious about the tree, google “symbolism of color”.​

Last edited:
This looks like a great way to offer new dive sites while honoring the memory of a friend.
Rick

Thank you helping us get the word out about Andrew's foundation.
The SCUBA diving community is number one on the list of who will benefit from the reefs we are going to build and number one on the list of who we need support and participation from.
We greatly appreciate what you are doing to support the foundation and look forward to beautiful new reefs in Palm Beach County in the near future.

BTW- I'm meeting with Continental Shelf Associates (one of the worlds leading ocean consulting firms) next week to discuss and identify the most productive sites within the permitted areas to place our first reef. They are also donating their services to perform the required underwater surveys since we want to place our artificial reef near a major existing reef to promote synergy.
Scott Harris

Its only been 8 days since we revealed that building artificial reefs in Northern Palm Beach County would be our mission and interest is growing exponentially as the message gets out.
I'll be devastated forever by Andrew's accident, but building reefs that are named after him will give me a way to honor his memory.

Go to andrewredharrisfoundation.org to find out how you can get involved and help build beautiful new reefs that your grandchildren's children will enjoy.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2014 at 12:13 AM ----------

I just checked my email and saw this message from Anthony Bambino and Drew Thompson, the owners of the immensely popular Three Natives Coffee and Acai Bar on US1 in Tequesta.
Three Natives has jumped out in front and has the first scheduled fundraiser for Andrew's foundation.
There will be many, many more, but we will remember that Three Natives was the first fundraiser that was created by Andrew's friends.
We know Andrew's friends are hurting big time the same as we are and are proud of these under-30 entrepreneurs for continuing to step up.
They have taken big risks and succeeded in developing their own thriving business. Watch out Chipotle. You need to check it out.
The support of our friends and family keeps Martha and I and Christina and Ryan going.

Anthony Bambino
10:41 PM (25 minutes ago)

to pbambino, Loni, Drew, me
Mr. Harris,

Drew and I have talked and we would love to offer the "Red Bowl" for Friday the 22nd thru Sunday the 24th. The bowl will consist of strawberries, raspberries, gogi berries, bee pollen and honey. We have decided to charge $10 for this bowl and will donate 100% of profit to Andrew's foundation.

We want to make sure we get this out to as many people as possible. 3 Natives has over 3,000 followers on social media that we will blast. The Shark Addicts, who are local divers, have over 15,000 followers on social media. They will also get the word out through their social media networks. If we can get some air time on the radio I believe we have covered every basis.

Let me know what you think.

Sincerely

Anthony Bambino

---------- Post added August 13th, 2014 at 12:14 AM ----------

It has always seemed to me that Martha is sort of a legend in the local women's team tennis world. She has a lot of fun with her team and they are part of a countywide league that is taken pretty seriously.
One of her tennis friends told me today that she and Martha's tennis pro are putting together a tennis tournament fundraiser in September for Andrew that will sell out the 100 spots right away and raise a ton of money for artificial reef building. They are also going to have a big silent auction. I'm working on our October 12 golf tournament fundraiser and silent auction and know how much work it is, but the tennis crowd has zoomed in front of me just like Three Natives.
God's speed to them, they are all wonderful.
The support of our friends sustains us.

Back
Top Bottom