Can you buy filters for the Go Pro Hero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

I just started using my Go Pro for underwater photos and video. Is there any kind of filter you can get that will clarify the colors? Everything is so green but I guess since the gulf is that color that the video would be as well. My dive buddy has a camera that adjusts for this though and the water actually looks blue and the colors are more true to life. I shoot in R4 mode if that matters any at all. Also is there any external lighting available for filming at deeper depths? Thank you.

Not directly through go pro, but there are outside companies that have adapted filters and solved the blurry images you see underwater. Go to YouTube and search for gopro, you will see plenty if videos where people have tried different filters. Also, google " eye of mine" and "snake river protoyping

Hey all,

I just started using my Go Pro for underwater photos and video. Is there any kind of filter you can get that will clarify the colors? Everything is so green but I guess since the gulf is that color that the video would be as well. My dive buddy has a camera that adjusts for this though and the water actually looks blue and the colors are more true to life. I shoot in R4 mode if that matters any at all. Also is there any external lighting available for filming at deeper depths? Thank you.

No filters through GoPro but the best way to go for underwater use is to get a blurfix by snake river prototyping, you will need to get a focus fix if you want to use your gopro underwater as standard they are very blurry. The blurfix has the lowest vignette level of all the comercial fixes with only slight vignette in r4 and photo modes, it comes with a clear glass filter and can take any 55mm filter, but this will need to be low profile to have the same vignette levels as the provided filters.

If you shoot in r4 your only option is the blurfix or eyeofmine and if you want to use filters and have a glass lens then the blurfix is the only choice currently. Theres other fixes around but all the drop in lenses are only vignette free in r5 mode with pretty bad vignetting in r4 phot and 720 modes.

The guys at SRP also sell urpro filters that work great with the gopro, you can check my latest videos as they have pretty much all been shot with a blurfix and urpro filters lately. I have nearly all the available fixes and apart from my EOM 3d housing the others are good dust collectors since I got the blurfix lol.

Lighting wise you can use any dive lights, theres no specific gopro lights but any decent underwater video lights are expensive, they will work great for night dives but even $2000 lights will only give you better colours for a few feet from the camera during day dives. So unless you want to film wrecks, caves or night dives a fair bit I think the cost of lighting isnt worth it IMHO.

Majority of people that go for the gopro for underwater video have chosen it for its price so spending 4 times or more over the cost of the camera setup for lighting doesnt keep you in that reasonable price range anymore and you may want to look into more high end cameras. If your willing to part with that much cash on lights a higher end camera maybe be a better option as it will probably work better with those lights also.

I second Marty's recommendation for the Blurfix (and I seem to follow him a lot on this topic in various forums)
If you want to get an idea of what the Bluefix does on the GoPro HD with the stock clear (UV) filter at 85-100 feet with good vis I posted a few vids at Diving the Graveyard of the Atlantic Aug 2011 on Vimeo. Color that deep not good but I got some improvement in post-production. What you can see though is the improved focus. So with the Blurfix mod you can get both focus fix and color correction. (I did buy a color filter but have not been able to try it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom