Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Intova Sport Pro HD vs Go Pro

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Intova Sport Pro HD vs Go Pro

Dont think im into taking video's at this point but saw this at the LongBeach Scuba show & Intova made it seem like it was a few up on Go Pro Hero2???
    Has viewfinder
    They say it has the right housing / lens out of the box that the Hero2 does not...
    $100 less
    Thoughts?
    Links:
    /www.intova.net/products/sport-hd/

Intova Sport Pro Waterproof HD Video Sports Camera @ Divers-Supply.com
    Wbwilly likes this.

Registered

need help just ask me :)

Dives
    500 - 999
    its a perfect underwater cam w/out the hassle of paying more for upgrades and you can even review your shots in the water.it has a lcd at the back why pay more if it is the same with the other underwater cam with some extra features to it . and i can give a special price for the first 5 buyers now. just $199 follow us on facebook spearbigfish Spearbigfish Spear's Photos | Facebook

Registered

I rather be diving

Dives
    100 - 199
    Looks intresting and a good competitor for go pro, who seems pretty indifferent to the scuba market.
    I note that it can't shoot 60fps @720 like the go pro main models. That is too bad, means a lot less smooth tracking shots.
    Be interested in seeing how it does in the offten low light Monterey diving. Also wonder if my powerful LED would screw it up the way it dose my go pro.

Registered

If I'm online I'm most likely
    not diving :(

Dives
    200 - 499
    Some Intova videos Ive seen look pretty good underwater, it is pretty much a cheaper copy of the gopro though. At $199 it looks like a fun little camera to have a play with.

Smaller sensor and its only 5mpx looking at the specs up scaling this to 8 and 12 mpx which seems a little pointless maybe just trying to pretend to be a gopro hero2 lol.

The lens looks tiny on this thing too and of the example videos ive seen it looks like its got a much slower readout then the gopro off the sensor causing pretty bad rolling shutter. The underwater videos dont show this but the ones on land at the Intova site have some pretty nasty wobble about them.

Using micro sd cards I assume the data rate is pretty low too and its got a narrower FOV at 140 vs 170 which is one of the main things I like about the gopro camera.

This is a much cheaper option working out about half the cost compared to a gopro with flat lens so its a good option for those just wanting a cheap UW camera to play around with.

SUDS Supporter!

Undercover DIR Agent.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    I have both. I like both. They each have their pro's and con's.

Most of it has already been mentioned above, so I will not get in to it.

I don't have any above water videos with it, but the below water ones are not bad. Intova has one of my quick clips on their website, I just found out about that. It is the one of the Lion Fish that Marty posted above.

I really do recommend the Intova for those looking for a nice camera to play around with on a easy on the wallet budget. For what you get, it is a good deal. You are not going to get award winning photos with it, but for someone just trying to document their dive and share some pics and video with family, it's great.

I have SUDS (Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba) coming here soon, and I am going to be doing a video for them. If my Aqua Video housing does not make it here in time, I am going to be using my Intova and GoPros to document it. I honestly thin both will do the job just fine.

Grifon, you ask about your powerful LED screwing it up. What are you referencing? I use two Light & Motion SOLA 1200 video lights and don't have any problems.
    *This space for rent*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbmata View Post
    I don't know whether to worship you, or hunt you to display you over my fireplace.

Registered

I rather be diving

Dives
    100 - 199
    Basically if I turn on my 1000candle led and the light intersects the go pro at all bellow 50 feet it looses it's ability to focus and recording goes nuts. I'll post a snippet if I still have them.

SUDS Supporter!

Undercover DIR Agent.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    I have never seen that before with any of my GoPro cameras. I have it do white balance/color frek outs, but never focus. Post something up.
    *This space for rent*
    I don't know whether to worship you, or hunt you to display you over my fireplace.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    James, what are the "pros" of the Intova if the quality is not quite up to that of the Hero 2? It seems to have more controls to make it easier to change settings. How is the batt life compared to a hero with the lcd attached?

SUDS Supporter!

Undercover DIR Agent.

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    I would say the pros are white balance adjustability, zoom, cost, built in flat lens and LCD monitor. I also feel I have for better stills from the intova compared to my go pro. opinion of course. battery life on my go pro seems to be around an hour to an hour and a half. I have done two hours on the intova.
    mkhilario likes this.
    *This space for rent*

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

I have an intova sport hd. Pros - price. Cons: really small lcd and therefore difficult to modify settings underwater or on the surface; buttons do not respond very well on land or in the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast