Any filters available now for GoPro Dive Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sflsurfer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, I just purchased the GoPro branded dive housing and I am trying to find a red filter to use it with for my upcoming trip to Riviera Maya on June 21st. I do know that Backscatter is making one, but I don't think it will be ready in time for my trip.

I then found a Polar Pro red dive filter that is compatible with the Gopro housing here:
GoPro Dive Red Filter | GoPro Accessories, GoPro Filters and Lenses, GoPro Microphone

You can't install it on the fly but it's only $15. Does anyone have any experience with this company's products? Or does anyone else know of any alternatives? Thanks in advance!

Installation requires that you violate the front seal. Sounds a bit risky to me as there is no secondary dome to protect the camera like on the blurfix. You might find out if this filter is rigid enough to just tape it to the outside of the glass. There are some rather substantial visually dead spots top and bottom at the center and centered at the sides where tape would not be visible.

If you find yourself stuck with no real options consider http://www.adorama.com/UWIRF87.html...ping Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase. Drill a hole top and bottom and thread an elastic band through them to run around the back of the housing. Sure it will look a bit ghetto but the way it covers the entire front of the housing, it doesn't vignette.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the ideas flareside! Whichever route I choose, I'll be sure to post the results on the site. Thanks again!

I have been researching the same thing. I have also considered purchasing the magic filter option for the backscatter flat lens housing and then just rigging it with rubber bands. It has a similar price as the one linked above and already has the grooves for attaching it. Problem is I don't know if the BS filter size covers all of the gopro housing lens. I might order one beginning of next week.

If someone has one and they took a picture of it with a ruler in the photo for scale I could print it out an experiment with the size!!

Mako Spearguns makes a red color correcting film that fits inside of the housing. I have e-mailed them because I want to know if it fits the standard housing. I have a BlurFix by SRP on mine, but the filter from them is very pricey. Like you said, Polar Pro also has a red filter. Mako's is the most cost effective. If it doesn't work, you are only out $5.85 for 3.

You can find either of them on the web.

I bought the BS magic filter they make for their flat lens housing. I'm gonna glue some tabs on it with some weld-on acrylic cement to snug it up on my gopro dive housing with a rubber band. I'll post up some pics when I get it all done.

dang i'm waiting to see about the backscatter and what it'll be like before i drop 120 for the backscatter housing + 40 for the filter....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom