Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Go Pro - Pros and cons

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

Go Pro - Pros and cons

We recently discovered the Go Pro cameras at Best Buy and have been contemplating buying one. Does anyone have input on the pros and cons of them? I did read on one blog that the basic underwater housing gives blurry focus.

Scuba Instructor

Technical diver, cave diver

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Yep, the standard lens gives blurry focus under water. For underwater use you need a flat lens. There are various options for that. One of which is Gopro's dive housing.

Pros and cons are just too much to list all of them. If you specify what your intended use is, it it much simpeler to privide you with what you are looking for.

Just remember that a gopro will need good lighting under water. So that will set you back som more $$

I own one and am very happy with it.

Registered

Is not into status

Dives
    100 - 199
    Pros: Good wide field of view underwater. Very compact and lightweight, half the size of even the smallest housed P&S camera.
    Cons: Does require the purchase of the new flat lens housing ($50) plus a filter ($40+). Also doesn't have a built-in LCD but that can be overcome for another $80. Lacks manual white balance and difficult to shift from video to stills.
    Other thoughts: Does a good job underwater and is currently the best choice in the genre. Works well with available lighting at shallower depths but requires supplemental lighting at depth (like all video cameras do).
    So many islands, so little time...

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Thanks! I intend to use it on shallower reef dives (40'-60') to capture the pretty fish. Also on deeper dives like wrecks and hopefully oil rigs (which I already know I'll need a light source for) Currently I have a SeaLife mini, but it's a few years old and only 10mp, the pictures have been less then satisfying the last few times I've used it.

Divemaster
    Badge

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Thanks! I intend to use it on shallower reef dives (40'-60') to capture the pretty fish. Also on deeper dives like wrecks and hopefully oil rigs (which I already know I'll need a light source for) Currently I have a SeaLife mini, but it's a few years old and only 10mp, the pictures have been less then satisfying the last few times I've used it.
    Just be sure to get the GoPro Hero2. A lot of places are selling off the standard GoPro at somewhat reduced prices, but it's a much less desirable option.
    I'm just sayin'

Divemaster
    Badge

Long time listener....first
    time caller....

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

This pic is me at 95' in Gilboa Stone Quarry in Ottawa, OH. Only ambient light. No additional lighting. Using the new GoPro housing.

If you want professional results, go for a setup with lighting options (btw there are GoPro lighting options out there).

Overall for a deal quarry at 100' it does the job for me.

Scuba Instructor

has no status- he's
    just another instructor

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    I've played with one- the tray with lighting was impressive but I personally wouldn't buy one for diving. Surfing yes but there are better options IMO for diving.

Even with the tray I found it very difficult to keep a steady hand for shooting things up close. Seeing as the Canon s100 is taking some pretty incredible video quality- I'd look towards that.