GoPro Dive Housing Thread... Any Leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PAFirefighter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm starting this thread in hopes of seeing what percentage of these housings are leaking. At least, from those of us on SB. I've seen a few threads here and on other forums of leaking housings. I figure we can have a thread to refer to for others if they are looking to purchase this housing. I just received mine last week, and won't be diving on it for a few weeks so I can't post as of yet.

Lets keep it simple. Just answer these questions in your post...

-How many dives has the housing been on?
-What was your max depth?
-Do you have a red filter (which requires unscrewing of the OE lens)?
-Does it leak?

Feel free to include any other pertinent info.

1-How many dives has the housing been on?
2-What was your max depth?
3-Do you have a red filter (which requires unscrewing of the OE lens)?
4-Does it leak?

1-Three dives and one snorkel freediving
2-49 feet
3-No. Backscatter filter inbound. Attaches over the lens frame and flips up/down. I didn't want to unscrew anything.
4-No.

I've had mine down to 100', maybe to 110'. I have the flat lens from snake river prototyping. My housing flooded at around 30' due to the latch not putting equal pressure on each side of the housing...I take responsibility since I heard a difference in the click of the latch and didn't investigate it. I should have taken more time and would still have my camera. Still not sure why the case didn't latch properly, everything looked in place when I got back to the surface. I was able to recreate the issue a few times latching and unlatching it, but it seems to close properly now. I haven't bought a replacement yet..this will be my third gopro (first one got caught high up in a tree when it was attached to an r/c airplane).

About 20 dives. 80' max. Both stock case with a flat lens fit over the round one, and the newer gopro flat lens housing. No leaks. I always use a latch retainer (I've found the stretchy rubberband like wristbands are perfect), and carefully inspect the seal once I've closed the case. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

May I add to your list of questions?:

What, if anything, do you do to maintain the seal? (i.e. inspect, clean, lubricate, etc.)

50+ dives with the Snake River Blur fix
100ft +
Yes- has filter
Never leaked or fogged

25+ dives with Eye of Mine housing
100ft+
No filter
Never leaked or fogged- including at 90+ ft in a very strong current in the Galapagos.

I have the video back and use the GoPro moisture inserts but spend zero time on maintenance except a good fresh water soak and wiping the seal down after each dive day.

No screw in filter..... 20 dives....Max Depth 130....No leaks ...I also use the moisture inserts. Last trip one set of inserts lasted for a weeks worth- 20 dives

-How many dives has the housing been on?
-What was your max depth?
-Do you have a red filter (which requires unscrewing of the OE lens)?
-Does it leak?

4 plus one snorkel dive
38ft, the first two were during a pier cleanup and I only maxed out at 11ft so I'm not even sure you can count those.
no, I'm looking into the backscatter
I havent' had a single problem.

I'll be out for Mini season next week and I might throw it on my tickle stick. If so I'll be at deeper sites so maybe have some more info.

edit: btw, I usually put a piece of gorilla tape over the latch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom