Why a GoPro may not be right for you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've thought about this for a while, and a recent post by another noobie diver summed it up, and made me write this novel, as all divers whether novice or advanced when given a camera/video gear in hand tend to change DRAMATICALLY under water...........I know I do..............and a GoPro or Still Camera may not be right for you...............

Another Divers' recent Quote "I got a sealife camera when I was first certified and quickly realized it was dangerous. I got so involved in the camera that I lost some focus on basic diving issues, buoyancy, depth etc........"

EMPHASIS ON "LOST FOCUS"..............I REPEAT, LOST FOCUS..................

As a scuba instructor, and as just a recreational diver who shoots photos and video, I myself "transform" underwater, with dramatic change in diving technique. At many many risks.

Put a still camera and video GoPro in many Many MANY divers hands (myself included), and suddenly it's all about "getting the shot", to the self-admitted point of ignoring my dive buddy, my trim/buoyancy, dangling gauges/gear, my holding onto or banging into the reef and KILLING coral, or total disregard for my own safety, people around me, and the fragile sea life we're all here to enjoy and experience.

It's troubling to read, with the new GoPros popularity, people FRESH out of certification, wanting to add a still camera, or even worse a video camera to their already basic scuba skills. It's called "task loading", and just because you're on your first tropical trip, or fresh out of certification with 5-15-30 dives under your belt, many people simply aren't ready for a simple point and shoot camera, and certainly not a video camera.

Yes Yes we all dive to experience new worlds, and it's that same excitement wonder and joy that we want to bring back to other friends, family, land-lubbers, and others to share our new found dive adventures and critters we've seen in that foreign world the sea.

BUT, and yes that's a big BUTT. In my sense of order:

Number one. You're in an astronaut suit of scuba gear, breathing and surviving in a foreign environment. Your living through that dive, safely and safety, is #1 priority. Hestiate at the wrong moment, and things can go bad very very quickly..............Be a GOOD diver first. As an instructor I can teach you to breathe underwater, but can't equalize your ears for you nor teach you how to hover perfectly using only your breathing to stay neutral while hanging vertical upside down in a handstand position filming under a rock ledge. Lose your air source, and you can lose your life in an instant.

Number two. Your safety net and responsibility extends to the divers around you. If you're entranced taking pictures/video, and lost your FOCUS, you're putting people’s lives at risk at the stupid joy of getting that Seahorse captured just right. No Shot or video clip is worth your or another persons injury. 'nough said on safety first.

Number three. PLEASE DON'T KILL THE SEALIFE. It's all innocent, people don't even know that they're doing it. "But I didn't even touch the reef you might say" But the prop wash from your fins, or racing in like an F-18 jet for a carrier landing so fast you're back paddling so hard with your hands that Mr Seahorse is now hit with Hurricane force 5 water vortexes is now PUMMELED with major water surge from you. You also may be laying on the bottom, kneeling or finning, which simply stirs up sediment and ruins your own shot by adding tons of backscatter to your, and other divers following you, photo/video opportunities.

Gosh I know I sound like Mr Tree Hugger and a Save The Reef extremist, and maybe in a way, that's what I'm pointing out. As I said, even as a dive instructor, and with over 1000+ dives under my belt, as my Master Instructor drilled into me "A good diver is always learning". I know I myself change diving behavior with a camera in my hands, as mentioned above at the disregard for my own safety, my dive buddies safety, and the fragile sealife around me.

If I can ask, to all those excited new divers, and to all us old farts divers of the seas been there dove that, please work on your dive skills, trim out your TRUE horizontal body posture while diving, don't prop wash into the reef, and no photo or video is worth either risking a person’s health, or the reefs health, in order to get "the shot".

I've worked at a resort in the Caribbean where we had weights measured and handed out to the 1/4 pound. People would start the week with 16-18 pounds, and at the end of the week working on their buoyancy skills we'd have them down to 12-14 pounds. Trim is everything, not the weight itself, but where you wear it. Think submarine here. Next dive you do just freeze motionless and see what sinks first, head or fins? Adjust your trim. Move your tank up or down, move your BCD up or down. If something sinks, move weight away from that end. Trim is everything........

One last closing comment, I don't care if it's a Hero1, Hero2, Hero3 white/silver/black...........Sealife Camera or a $10,000 Nikon DSLR rig.........trust me on this it's not the camera that honestly gets the best shots. It's the person HOLDING and operating the camera. I've won numerous photo contests and been published in magazines..........people often see my photos and say "oh my gosh that's gorgeous what kind of camera were you using........." Most times it's 30% camera, and 70% of the operator, and sometimes just dumb luck and split second timing that gets that best shot. Give Tiger Woods a 2x4 piece of lumber, and he'll still out golf you even with your $700 graphite wizz-bang titanium head golf club.

So it's not the equipment, but the enjoyment of diving..........and seriously, read and re-read this: I've had some of my most memorable dives, with the camera left on the boat. Do the Dive for the Dive, not for the picture.

If with this long post, I can help even 2-3 people with something to "think" about their behavior before they splash and during the dive, it's worth it, and your example will lead others to lead others and others to do the same. :D

Last edited:
While most of your points are valid.....tiger woods couldn't beat me at my home course with even the most expensive clubs. He's played here numerous times and I consistently out score his best round.

Now when it comes to photography, pure talent is crucial. However a very good camera can't hurt either;-)

I agree.

When my diving slowed down around the turn of the century I put my cameras away figuring I wasn't getting in enough bottom time to justify the distraction---safer to just dive.

When I returned to diving this year I made sure to get in a few dives to recover my skills before jumping on the GoPro bandwagon.

Great post Rockyheap. My instructor had this same talk with me. After that I decided to take an underwater photography/videography course, it did wonders for my diving, and my video shooting.

Excellent points there sir and that is EXACTLY why I waited a whole year and had about 75 dives under my belt when I first started shooting. My main goal was to learn how to be a safe diver. Even with a camera my main goal is still to be a safe diver and unfortunately I noticed an undeniable trend. Wait for it... wait for it...

Other divers do not give a diddly daddly squat about your needs and wants as a videographer and they WILL leave you there all by your lone self unless you are diving with your OWN dive buddies. It is mind boggling folks I tell you... half the time I pause for 1 split second, look up and I am all by myself. Other times I get in front of group on purpose and they completely change course.

I see all too many newbie divers clinging onto their go-pros on the dive boats. It becomes about wanting to film and completely forgetting about safety. Why is it suddenly my responsibility to swim up to entire group, check their air and tell them they only have 300psi left? It should be their job.

I personally make a commitment to not "get that shot". I just shoot everything and edit it once I get home. I know fully well what happens when you try to get that shot. I got stung by fire coral in cozumel when I tried to position myself to film group swimming from outside of reef into swim through. It hurt like a .... Other time I very seriously bumped my head completely on accident. I was minding my own business filming then a newbie swam up underneath me to get the shot with ironically a go-pro decided to inflate his bcd and pushed himself and myself into ceiling of a fairly large swim through. I was blessed that my headband has some padding because I hit ceiling with my head and I saw the stars for a good minute.

Diver safety is no laughing matter and privilege of diving should not be abused at expense of trying to capture it on video

From another angle: Cameras like the GoPro and Intova Sport Pro allow for "out of the way" mounting options allowing one to "set it and forget it". Likely not the best scenario for serious vid geeks, but great for pure documentation.

Safety must still be considered first.

From another angle: Cameras like the GoPro and Intova Sport Pro allow for "out of the way" mounting options allowing one to "set it and forget it". Likely not the best scenario for serious vid geeks, but great for pure documentation.

Safety must still be considered first.

That is the one advantage of the gopro and other wearable cams as you can just head mount it and dive, without needing to pay any attention to the camera. I still wouldn't recommend that to a complete beginner but after enough dives where you are comfortable and have basic control of your dive skills its a good way to start out taking video.

Handheld camera setups should be avoided until you have pretty much mastered all basic skills, you also need to have your gear on a leash so if you need your hands free you can just let go of all your camera gear.

Always think safety first when diving and try make sure your monitoring all your gauges and air as well as keeping an eye on your buddies at all times. If that means your video footage will suffer a little then so be it, as Rocky said avoid giving yourself more task loading then you need to and until you are a good and safe enough diver that you are capable of handling more tasks.

There's also a generic attitude issue with this. Whilst I'm completely new to diving and will only use my gopro snorkeling, I still feel that the water is not for everyone, the water is for the fish, coral and all other underwater beings.

Others believe it's there to do what you want, scare away any fish feeding so you can get to THAT elusive fish, and rig up your gear on some coral. It's odd as I watched finding nemo with my partner flying back from the maldives but there's actually a reasonable amount of truth to the movie (and I reckon it still holds true that clownfish aren't funny :wink:.

The water isn't meant for us to pollute, kill and ruin. We should be extremely grateful for even being able to go under water and see the awesomeness that awaits us :)

I didn't think like this until I started snorkeling recently (moving onto diving very shortly) and saw what happened when you had equipment vs no equipment. There's a big difference, and whilst I think you should be allowed to film and snap what you want, it's crucial to understand that a completely different skill level is needed to be safe in the water AND operate a camera.

Others have suggested mounts on this thread, and I think that's the best option while you're learning.

To clarify my point, try driving a car (something most of you have done for years) and hold a go pro camera. Now make sure you're filming all the right things and getting footage of cool scenery, ensure you're within the speed limit, indicating, changing gears (well, not applicable to most american cars :)), slowing down at lights, beware of pedestrians etc etc.

Talking about task loading how about this guy, no scuba just free diving at Pipeline with 40 GoPro cameras and filming one of the worlds hottest surfer chicks in a bikini. I would have forgot to come up for air for sure let alone the battering you would get down there by the surge and that huge tray setup lol.

40 GoPro.jpg

Highly not recommended setup for a beginner, but damn that must be a tough job having to get underwater footage of Alana Blanchard and most likely a few of her friends.

I'll help take this most serious of posts, to a fun light-hearted level.

Video or photo skills by yourself is one thing hard enough, but add a wife/girfriend/dive-buddy that you're trying to pose during the shoot or get framed/composed in that shot, well that's a whole new level of task loading.

Yeah, I may get distracted a bit if Alana was my dive buddy..........oh the horrors of having to share air with her, I'd have to pratice CPR at least a couple times a week to keep my skills fresh........all in the name of safety, right?

Alana Blanchard images - Google Search

Back
Top Bottom