Best GoPro 'Arm' for diving ... ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carpster61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hiya people,

I have a GoPro Hero3 Black edition and I am looking to take it scuba diving of course. I have seen various ways of mounting them on things, including masks, but a few tell me the best way is to use an extendable arm which is handheld. I think they are referred to as monopods ... ??? Can anybody recommend a good make and model please. Any advice accepted, maybe you can just share with me your ways of using your GoPro underwater please.

Thankyou ... :D

While in Maui, I used a short yellow float handle [forget the name and brand, sorry] that was probably overpriced, but worked okay for me. [Get all your shopping done _before_ you get to your exotic dive destination!]. Another fellow on the boat had a monopod arm that he built with a length of ~1' plastic duct pipe and a GoPro mount...probably cost $1.98 to put together. It seemed to work fine for him.....

As for using your GoPro... Don't wait until you go diving to figure out how it all works. READ YOUR MANUAL and get it set up properly...then take it for a few dryland test runs. Be _sure_ you understand what the flashing LEDs are telling you. I had only a very hazy idea of how much video my memory cards could hold...I could have captured a lot more if I had really sussed it out. Otherwise just switch it on at the beginning of your dive and point it at everything interesting you see....edit it down later. Have fun with it...the GoPro is a great piece of kit...

I saw the best one this weekend from a diver I took scootering. It was mounted to a stick with some duck tape ! I mount mine to my scooter towing arm with an arm from UK Pro. It's a nice package with a complete case with a light and several other accessories .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quickpod Monopod has worked well for me and my friend! See the video below in my signature for a dive video I made using it.. Prices have increased greatly since I purchased mine due to the popularity among GoPro users..

Make sure and buy one with stainless steel hardware!

Any 2 hander tray will do you wonders. You can make one from pvc or purchase one from dozens from online vendors. Only thing you really have to be concerned about is whether you have means of attaching a gopro to the tray. On my tray, for example I use 3m adhesive helmet mounts as well as tripod mount attached to a center screw. That allows me to mount my cameras on forks or in the middle.

I came up with this design over winter. It's a tray and extendable, so the best of both worlds. I just had the pieces printed online, in total it cost about 50 bucks. If anybody wants the STL file, let me know. IMAG0219.jpgIMAG0221.jpgIMAG0222.jpgIMAG0224.jpgIMAG0225.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom