Wide angle lens options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any options for a wide angle lens and the gopro black?

Seriously ?

:-D

What ron meant is that the gopro is already nearly 90 degrees diagonal by itself ( I think around 80 horizontal)

In video terms that is already wide and will fit most situations including large fish and some wrecks

I have heard that there are some dome ports on other housings to keep the nearfisheye that you have on land however this is limited use as things look really tiny

The stock lens is approximatly 170 degrees on the diagonal in air but that reduces to around 128 underwater. Not sure if the OP is wanting to mount an inon ufl-165ad or what. Would probably require shooting on narrow mode to prevent vignetting so I'm not sure there would be much of a benefit.

The stock lens is approximatly 170 degrees on the diagonal in air but that reduces to around 128 underwater. Not sure if the OP is wanting to mount an inon ufl-165ad or what. Would probably require shooting on narrow mode to prevent vignetting so I'm not sure there would be much of a benefit.

You wish. The hero2 that was the same 170 degrees on land in water is narrower than my Inon UWL with 100 diagonal, in fact the gopro hero2 is around 90 diagonal or 80 horizontal.
I have seen hero3 footage compared to the same lens and it is clearly narrower and it does not get to 90 degrees horizontal

For me, the GoPro Hero 3 native angle of view is very wide. Too wide for most of the shooting I do. I compared it to my Tokina 11-16mm lens on my T2i and the GoPro is wider. I believe the Tokina is listed at 104 degrees diagonal. So the GoPro is more than that topside.

You wish. The hero2 that was the same 170 degrees on land in water is narrower than my Inon UWL with 100 diagonal, in fact the gopro hero2 is around 90 diagonal or 80 horizontal.
I have seen hero3 footage compared to the same lens and it is clearly narrower and it does not get to 90 degrees horizontal

Please provide evidence of your claim.

Last edited:
It has a wide angle lens in a flat port. It HAS to be narrower in water. 90 degrees FOV sounds about right. Looks narrower than my old Nikonos 15mm lens with 94 degrees FOV.

If someone like fantasea made a bigeye wet dome for the gopro to restore the FOV I'd certainly be interested. If they made one for 55mm thread it could be used with the SRP adapter.

Right now they have a 67mm thread that could conceivably be used with a step ring on the SRP filter adapter without vignetting. I don't want to splash out $450 bucks on it right now but I'd love to give it a go. I love my Inon 165 on my still camera.

Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- BigEye Lens M67

It has a wide angle lens in a flat port. It HAS to be narrower in water. 90 degrees FOV sounds about right.

Yes, of course it IS narrower in water. The index of refraction is 1.3330 between water and air and using the inverse of that makes the FOV 25% narrower in water. In air, the GoPro is roughly 120 degrees wide which reduces to roughly 90 degrees wide in water. Attempting to compare it to the rays passing through a UWL-100 is a totally bogus concept however as this is a lens not just a piece of glass and it is intentionally altering the light rays.

As far as adding another lens to the front of the GoPro, you need to realize that on wide angle setting the image is being collected corner to corner of the housing glass. There are no lenses out there (that I am aware of anyway) that will optically cover that field of glass. So you are going to have to shoot in a narrower mode which uses less of the sensor in order to prevent substantial vignetting.

Adding some pictures:

First one showing 5MP Medium image through UWL-100 providing an indication of vignetting at medium setting

5MP Medium Still.jpg

Second one showing video grabs with the image through the Inon lens taken in narrow mode so there is no vignetting.

Image Comparison .jpg

Note the regular wide GoPro image is wider than the image through the Inon lens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom