Homemade GoPro tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I got bored and decided on a small project. I tried doing some video with a camera pole and wasn't happy with the results. It's too shaky and the camera tends to lean to the side, off level, too often.
I got this idea off YouTube for a compact, inexpensive tray so I built my own. Cost me about $25 in all. I'm already leaning towards an SRP tray but this will suffice in the meantime. I already have an inexpensive idea for mounting lights once I have some.

DIYtrayfront.jpgDIYtraback.jpg

Great stuff! Well it works! :)

Being plastic it might be better at damping some movement!

Do you know if / why a triangle tray like the SRP is better than a normal two handle jobby ??

Great stuff! Well it works! :)

Being plastic it might be better at damping some movement!

Do you know if / why a triangle tray like the SRP is better than a normal two handle jobby ??

This tray is not of the same quality, sturdiness of the SRP tray. I like the SRP as a total package with the light arms and such. Also the fact that the camera is mounted in a forward position in relation to the handles.

I don't know how long this concoction of mine will last but eventually I like to go with solid equipment. I will experiment with this for a while until then.

I'm working on one myself. Just got the parts in today for my first mock-up. Case of beer will get me some time in the shop with a plasma cutter and welder, and maybe a finished product. Testing will be next week.

First try is too bulky.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376015489.821227.jpg

So I played around alittle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376015550.027509.jpg

This is what I'm going with

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376015632.348804.jpg

On a side note, my first dives with GoPro I was greasing the o-ring. Is this necessary? My buddy just got a sealife and said it wasn't needed. I would sure like to skip that step.

Also, will that sticky pad adhere to aluminum? Or will I need a few pop rivets in there?

That sticky pad is pretty strong as long as the surface is clean. I always use a safety tether on everything just in case though.Closefront.jpgCloseback.jpg

I wondered the same thing about the o-ring. A little silicone lube once and a while is ok to prevent it from drying but keeping it clean of debris is important.

That's gonna be a nice setup your making there.

Thanks for the input! I'm trying to stay away from bulky because that's just the way I dive, but I wonder if I've made the handles too close?

---------- Post added August 8th, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

Have you tried that filter out yet? I have the cheap polarpro but soon as those aren't back ordered, I'd like to try one.

Thanks for the input! I'm trying to stay away from bulky because that's just the way I dive, but I wonder if I've made the handles too close?

---------- Post added August 8th, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

Have you tried that filter out yet? I have the cheap polarpro but soon as those aren't back ordered, I'd like to try one.
Yeah, your handles might be a bit to close to the camera. A little more space would be a good idea.

The SRP filters are out of stock? I just received mine today. I must have gotten the last one. :wink: I'll be trying it out this weekend though in somewhat shallow water (20ft) but the water is usually is not extremely clear. I've heard good things about this filter so it should do well. I'll let you know what I think after I've tried it.

I was looking straight off the site, maybe other options.

Version 4.0?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376023274.447095.jpg

I was looking straight off the site, maybe other options.

Version 4.0?

View attachment 162875

That's looking better. I think your 1st try was a nice design, you could have marketed it as the "Boomerang" mount. But if you think it's too bulky then I guess not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom