Anybody noticed issues with focus distance on GoPro 3+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was looking at a GoPro 3+ and saw a couple of threads about soft videos and stills due to focus depth in the new 3+

Apparently Gopro have figured that 90% of videos are selfies and therefore an ideal focus depth is in the 3 inch to 5 foot range and so the new 3+ has amazing clarity at these distances but is somewhat soft for longer distances. Is this something that any of you have noticed underwater and if so is it an issue.

I guess a lot of underwater videoing is done in the 2-5 foot range and so it might not be as much of an issue however I use mine for a lot of land based activities with distances up to 100 feet and am worried about this new info?

If this is indeed something that you have noticed does the more impressive light handling ability of the 3+ make it a reasonable trade off for the distance issue.

Any thoughts for those using the 3+

Craig

Try a google search, there is a lot of info out there. Most of the forums talking about it are the people using them for aerial photography on there little drone machines. I found out about the issue when mine was getting shipped to me. I have not noticed anything yet, but I have only had it out 3 times so far trying to figure everything out. From what I have read GoPro fixed a bunch of them and is not "supposed" to have the issue anymore.

I think 99% of the Hero 3+ have the focus "problem". It's a "feature" not an issue ( GoPro perspective ). They are only fixing them based on "complains" ( i read 200+ pages on this issue ). I got mine 3 days ago, i did a test in the swimming pool yesterday. While mounted on a pole (80 cm full extended ) the focus is crisp and sharp ( if you film yourself ), but the background (8-10m +) is a little fuzzy. I don't have Hero 3 to compare the focus.
From what i see on the net it's a simple fix (pliers involved, voiding warranty ) . I am still thinking what to do : send it back to be fixed or adjust the focus myself.

I sent mine back and it was a quick turn around. They sent a new one. I think they have them on hand just for this. They even paid shipping both ways!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

This problem was an issue in some early Hero 3+ cameras but has been resolved for some time now. Unless you're buying a camera that has been in stock for some time, you should have issue free cameras.

This problem was an issue in some early Hero 3+ cameras but has been resolved for some time now. Unless you're buying a camera that has been in stock for some time, you should have issue free cameras.

What is the manufacturing date or release/batch code after which the issue was resolved? How can I ensure I get the fixed one when I order online?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

If you get anything on or after Batch ID 1113 it should be fine, however, even some of the 0913 and 1013 Batch ID's were from revised stock. The problem is some 0913 stock is 'old stock' so could have the problem. Best to ask how long the dealer has had the cameras physically in stock. Somewhere like Amazon could have been sitting on hundreds or even thousands and could still be clearing 'old stock'.

My luck is that I got a 1013. I ordered a couple of weeks before Christmas and was not delivered until almost New Years. I just sent pictures to GoPro for them to verify.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2014 at 03:03 PM ----------

Looks like Go Pro agrees that I have a focus issue, but they also wanted my to update the software on the camera. But I did that the first day I pulled it out of the box. So now I am just waiting for the next step.

Back
Top Bottom