Rescued Green Turtle released back into the wild in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cam F

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
This turtle was found by our snorkel boat, drifting and nearly dead. With the help of the UWI Marine Lap at Port Royal & the JSPCA the turtle was brought back to health and returned to us so we could release back into the sea

[video=youtube_share;5VrFk5ooPDw]http://youtu.be/5VrFk5ooPDw[/video]

all filmed with a gopro hero 3 white. edited using i movie

We rescued a turtle - a young female - in S. Bimini. Actually, bought it for $50 off a pair of locals who were taking it off to sell. Problem was, when we got it, we discovered that it had been stabbed in the neck. Every time it stuck its neck out, the wound would ooze blood. We could see inches of exposed flesh. We knew we couldn't just release it because the little fishes would nibble at the wound. We put it in a child's swimming pool (slightly bigger than the turtle), and contacted a lab on the other side of the island that was studying sharks. They came, took it in a truck, sutured the wound, kept it over night, brought it back. That morning we loaded the very irritated turtle, in the little pool, onto the dive boat, took it out and released it. The plan was that the divers with cameras would be in the water and photograph the turtle as it left the dive boat. No one got an image -- the minute the turtle hit the water, it took off like a shot. I've never seen a turtle move so quickly. It was interesting to be able to examine a turtle so closely.

I have seen them hatch before and been diving close to many but this was a very different experience. Like you said the minute he was in the water he was off. I was lucky I positioned myself in the right place below the boat and got some nice shots of him making a run for the border

I forgot to mention that I used a dual grip tray from backscatter when shooting underwater to keep stability and reduce shaking

Back
Top Bottom