ID Plate for GoPro Camera Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquanex

Co-Owner of YourBagTag.com
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am interested in getting your feedback on an ID plate I am developing to go inside the GoPro camera housing. This idea came after two unrelated incidents. The first was finding a GoPro camera in Bonaire while diving with no way of knowing who the camera belonged to. I left it with the resort shop in the event someone came looking for it. The second incident was my college-aged son lost his brand new GoPro Hero3+ when it came of his helmet while skiing in Colorado. They looked for several hours - never found it. Again, there was no identifying info on the camera housing so if some kind soul did find it, they would't know who to return it to.

So I have designed a small plastic laser-engraved ID plate that can be placed into the back of the housing - right under the foam rubber block on the back.

Here are my questions:

Would you find something like this useful? It won't keep you from losing your camera but would certainly help in the event you do.

Do you have more than one housing/back configuration for your camera?

I am thinking of charging $9.95 for a set of three tags. Tags could be engraved with up to 3 lines of text. Come in 7-8 colors.

What do you think? Good idea or not? Thanks in advance for your input.

GoProIDTag-2.jpg GoProIDTag.jpg GoProIDTag-3.jpg

great idea...so many of these things go lost. as long as it does not compromise the seal i would grab one too.

It would work but as an alternate I know a lot of people take a picture of their contact information, as the first picture on the memory card.

i would probably do both for safe measures.

The battery of the camera will probably be dead when found and it takes much more effort to read the memory card and to look through pictures which may or may not have contact info.

Also, with the micro SD cards it is possible that whoever finds it may not have the adapter to read the card (or know how to use the camera to scroll through the photos, which is especially hard to do with a dead battery).

Good idea. I would take one.

I once lost a camera when jetskiing - as there was no ID information on it, it was obvious to me it was lost the moment I realized it was gone ... If this could be avoided and even if there is some chance to get the camera back, I will go for it.

PS: PM me if you start a business with it

brother label maker....

brother label maker....

Mike, great point and quite frankly, good ol' piece of paper and a pen will also do. I was just going for a different aesthetic with these tags. I appreciate the input!

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 03:38 PM ----------

Not a bad idea. Any ideas to add an adhesive to the face of it?

Also, for anyone who has lost or found a gopro, post here: thelostgopro | Let's reunite Lost/Found GoPro Camera and Owner!

They've been successful in reconnecting many owners with their lost gopros.

BigGumby - thanks for the input and the info. Will forward the "thelostgopro" link to my son! I have thought about an adhesive to keep the tag in place. I have been looking for double-sided clear tape that I could include for each end.

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 03:41 PM ----------

Scott, I am with you. I will be doing both. I use my GoPro for Scuba and whitewater kayaking - I just try and remember to take a photo with contact info. Since I own a commercial laser as part of my wife's business, we have the technology. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom