New gopro! looking for settings advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowyorang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone! Got a new gopro 3+ black in the mail yesterday! Going to have some fun!
I will be heading to Belize in July on a mission trip but will be able to get wet for a couple days while I am there and I'm wondering if anyone can help out with what the best setting would be for resolution, ect....
I also got the Flip 3.1 dive filter for it as well. Going to be using the extendable gopole with it. Been reading the pluses and minuses of the pole but I think for my purposes the pole will be fine for me at this time.
Also if you have any suggestions for using this setup in green water that would be awesome. Planning on doing some lake diving before I go. Also got the green water filter for the Flip for this.
Any resolution help would be awesome. This is my first gopro so I'm hoping the learning curve won't be too steep.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 02:44 PM ----------

Noone uses their go pro under water?

This is a really helpful page regarding use of the GoPro underwater (including settings) on backscatter.com...Backscatter makes the 3.1 flip filter system for the GoPro. I used these settings along with the 3.1 and an underwater light/tray (Sealife 1200) in Roatan last week. Still processing my video, but so far the results look great. Backscatter also posted a helpful video on vimeo for installing the 3.1 - very useful if you are a mechanical idiot like me

Underwater Camera Articles: A Guide to Using the GoPro Hero3 / Hero3+ Underwater

Installing the Flip 3.1 - posted by Backscatter:
http://vimeo.com/73716735

Looking for opinions on the Backscatter recommended GoPro settings....
FPS:60
FOV: W
Protune off
Wifi off
Auto shutdown to 300 seconds

Thanks! I think it's going to take some experimenting. I will turn the protune on an see how it works.

Looking for opinions on the Backscatter recommended GoPro settings....
FPS:60
FOV: W
Protune off
Wifi off
Auto shutdown to 300 seconds

These are the settings I've successfully used. Setting the FPS to 60 seems to help reduce camera shake and smooth the video out.

The best advice is to practice before you go on your trip. Gopros are awesome but have unique quirks. You can use the best settings but still have horrible video if your not used to filming with it.

My tips for a good start:

1080p and 60fps for good light or if u want to slow things down a lil bit.

30fps for low light.

Use Protune and Camraw for best white balance results. Auto works decent, but you'll notice the color shift throughout the video as conditions change.

i have been filming in medium fov lately, seems to be better for reefs and wrecks. Wide mode may distort the background at the edges of the frame. Try out all the fov's you can.

I upload in gopro studio, trim the clips, make white balance correction with the selection tool. Then export and finish with premier elements.

my last two videos I filmed in 30fps and exported at 24fps, it smoothed out all the motion without slowing everything to far down.

Regarding fov...... Do many folks try to change this underwater? The screen is so small and it takes some time to scroll through the menus.....on a dark, non clear water dive, Might be kind of a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom