GoPro filming help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chmoutsi

Registered
Reaction score
London "where the warmest and clearest waters are"
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I recently bought a gopro and I'd like to know how I could get a smooth shot hands free (possibly). I though of buying the Z Gear GoPro mount, will this give me a clear shot or will the video be obstructed by my hands or my instruments (I have a twin set therefore I have a hose coming from the left and from the right). Otherwise, would a head strap do the job or would the bubbles get in the way or would the shot be “shaky”?
Can you please leave you're advise, It would help me a lot!

Thank You

Get an XS scuba GoMask. Just recieved one in a sweepstakes and it is awesome!

Hi,

I recently bought a gopro and I'd like to know how I could get a smooth shot hands free (possibly). I though of buying the Z Gear GoPro mount, will this give me a clear shot or will the video be obstructed by my hands or my instruments (I have a twin set therefore I have a hose coming from the left and from the right). Otherwise, would a head strap do the job or would the bubbles get in the way or would the shot be “shaky”?
Can you please leave you're advise, It would help me a lot!

Thank You
For your set up it is best to use the extension kit for the Z Gear mount. This would enable you to use the mount without having any issues with the hoses being in the shot. It will also allow you to see where you are filming.Check out this how to use video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjlrJK_XfO0&list=UUaRSxYIGkjbT_SgQx6F4A-A
Also here is a video of a scuba member using the extension kit with the mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qvUCnA9fn4

Ultimately it is going to depend on your stability in the water. I recently just got the Z Gear Mount and have good luck with it so far. I got the extension package but had to take some of the ball mounts off to streamline it. I totally do NOT recommend the head strap. It's much easier for your head to move versus your should so will thus be a blurrier shot. Plus I don't trust head straps anymore, I've lost them so many times.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 12:23 AM ----------

For your set up it is best to use the extension kit for the Z Gear mount. This would enable you to use the mount without having any issues with the hoses being in the shot. It will also allow you to see where you are filming.

Aloha Frank! Here is a video with my Z Gear Mount. I have it mounted underneath the LPI hose on the left (because I dive with a long hose and need the right shoulder free) and swivel it to my chest underneath my regulator. I think this is the most streamline way and gives a cool first person POV! Still playing around with the angles, will post more videos after some more dives this weekend!
[video=youtube;RcklbnoTuWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcklbnoTuWU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The Z gear gopro mount looks great! But I'm having trouble finding a place to attach the velcro to my bcd (I have a yellow buddy commando bcd jacket). The problem I am getting is that I am scared that the velcro might detach if I inflate the jacket itself (I have a drysuit but I would prefer being able to inflate the bcd in case of a leakage!).

Thanks

Ultimately it is going to depend on your stability in the water. I recently just got the Z Gear Mount and have good luck with it so far. I got the extension package but had to take some of the ball mounts off to streamline it. I totally do NOT recommend the head strap. It's much easier for your head to move versus your should so will thus be a blurrier shot. Plus I don't trust head straps anymore, I've lost them so many times.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2014 at 12:23 AM ----------

Aloha Frank! Here is a video with my Z Gear Mount. I have it mounted underneath the LPI hose on the left (because I dive with a long hose and need the right shoulder free) and swivel it to my chest underneath my regulator. I think this is the most streamline way and gives a cool first person POV! Still playing around with the angles, will post more videos after some more dives this weekend!
[video=youtube;RcklbnoTuWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcklbnoTuWU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm glad you had a chance to use the mount. Looks like you found a good way of positioning it for your filming. Thanks for the nice video clip.

I agree with poster 2. I have used the z-gear on the great barrier and every time I used it i "not allowed to say due to legal gag order from Z-Gear". I just took this footage in Raja Ampat Indonesia with the Gomask and never had to worries about loosing my camera with the self tethering nut.

Back
Top Bottom