Alternative method for locking back Backscatter Macromate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As per my introduction, I've just joined ScubaBoard because this part of the forum is very active. I've been a GoPro Hero 3 Black user for 18 months and enjoy trying to get the most out of this little camera underwater. I use it in conjunction with two L&M Sola 2000 video lights.

I've just received a load of stuff from Backscatter (excellent service by the way) including a Macromate lens. It is very well made and it looks promising from my tests out of the water. My only issue is that the lens is too thick to allow the flip mechanism to lock back when not in use. Backscatter have come up with a simple solution which consists of a rubber band that wraps around the housing and lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_24GEl5I4FM

While this solution works, I would prefer something a little more robust. I was thinking about some sort of flexible rubber/spring stop or a spring button mounted on to the base tray. Anyone tried this or have another solution?

Either way, I'll post a picture when I get it sorted.

After a little head scratching, here's my solution for tray-based setups.

Components:

1. Short stainless steel bolt of 6 mm diameter with matching nyloc nut.

2. Compression spring of 6 mm diameter which is 4 cm in length.

3. Shrink tubing to fit over the spring, I went for 9 mm diameter.

Method:

1. Drill a hole in your tray to accommodate the bolt. Exact position needs to be judged, but just in front of the Macromate when folded back.

2. Lock bolt in to place with the nut on the camera side of the tray.

3. Screw spring on to bolt.

4. Cut shrink tubing to spring length and slide over spring. Shrink with boiling water or steam.

...and you're done! Pictures will make this clearer than my description. The spring can either be placed in front of the lens to hold it back or in the groove of the lens.

Macromate in use
P1080545_zpsb4d17c31.jpg

Macromate not in use (front view)
P1080546_zps8c89a7e2.jpg

Macromate not in use (side view)
P1080547_zps80705bae.jpg

Took it on a dive today and it works!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom