GoPro First purchase Noobie advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LDesp

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to purchase my first Gopro soon.

As a noobie to Gopro I am confused with all the options and all the threads full of info are a bit overwhelming so I am hoping someone can help me with a simple setup and some questions.

I will be diving in Thailand(Koh Tao) max depth 18m and need some advice on what to get.

I am planning to get the GoPro3..

Do I need the diving case?

Do I need to get a red filter or any other type of lense filters?

I want a telescopic arm as well any opinions on those?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help out a noob =)

1. Do I need the diving case?

2.Do I need to get a red filter or any other type of lense filters?

3. I want a telescopic arm as well any opinions on those?

1. no.
2. yes, red filter. the polar pro glass filters are simple, cheap and do a good job.
3. i don't think they produce very stable footage, a tray is best for stability. however, if you just want to record your dive (versus making a technically good video), then it doesn't matter.

1. no.
2. yes, red filter. the polar pro glass filters are simple, cheap and do a good job.
3. i don't think they produce very stable footage, a tray is best for stability. however, if you just want to record your dive (versus making a technically good video), then it doesn't matter.

thanks for the advice .. I read that an anti blur lense is required is this so?

As for telescopic pole I am just wanting to record the dive pretty much and be able to to switch between POV and selfie =)

Pole is fine. Please don't jam it in a hole when you see an eel.

Also please don't mount the go pro on your head. No one likes watching head mounted gopro footage.

Other than hang that have fun. If you can find a way to stick the go pro in the sand and swim around it can make for cool shots. The camera will be nice and stable. Just don't stick it in the coral.

Bring the anti-fog inserts (i.e. gopro, fogfree), it's better to be safe than sorry. Those are hard to find in Thailand - some dive shops stock the GoPro branded ones but for a pretty penny.

Personal advice: avoid the polar pro filters, they produce the worst quality color correction from all options out there. Made and (not)tested by non-divers.

If you want an external filter, SRP makes good quality ones for around $80 USD. They have the advantage of being removable for surface shots and that you can attach a macro diopter or other filters (i.e. CPL) to use on the surface. I use an internal filter from Eelvision, they cost around $10 USD and go inside the housing. The footage quality is similar, if not better (sample here). The only disadvantage [for some people] is that you can't remove them while underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom