GoPro 3- underwater tripod, video and macro tips please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugatti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for suggestions about a tripod and tips on macro video with GoPro 3.

GoPro 3 Black on a ULCS pistol grip with a L4M 3600lm 3XML and SRP filter - have been very happy criusing around getting wide angle video for the past couple of years.

I would like to start taking macro video (recently purchased a Macromate lens), and have been searching the forum for tips / suggestions. Here are a couple of questions or points I'd like to have help with:

1. Seems like for macro, a light with adjustable output is preferred (sounds like I'll blow out the subject with current light)- what range would you recommend? (unfortunately we just changed the LEDs and converted my old 900lm video light into a red focus light for the still camera rig, so now I'll have to buy a new light or two... darn :wink:
2. I currently have 1 light on pistol grip, but could easily convert to tray with 2 handles (Can canibalize parts from old camera set-ups, would just need to re-configure)... from what I've read people generally think the video stability is superior with the tray and 2 handle set-up. I like the pistol grip as I can cruise over the corals and stick the camera down in cracks and crevices without bumping anything. (I hold by the light with camera dangling down).
3. Is the reduction in back-scatter with two lights angled slightly out applicable in video like is is in photograpy? (silly question, but having only used one light I feel like I have to ask).
4. Do you always put the LCD screen on for macro? I've always used the battery backpack, but see where the LCD would be superior in this case- it's just the battery life will suffer. I usually try not to open the housing to change batteries on the boat if I can help it.

And now for the place I really need help-
1. What are you using for underwater tripod for GoPro Macro video? With the Backscatter Macromate lens, camera to subject needs to be in range of 3". I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount GoPro to tripod to achieve that distance for some of the sand-dwellers.
2. How are you stabilizing the tripod? Counterweights? I'm concerned about motion if there is a slight surge and would hate for the rig to topple over and destroy some poor unsuspecting jawfish den.

I'll be playing with a gorillapod in the pool this weekend (medium sized one, not the small one) but am thinking that the medium one might keep me too far from subject; whereas the small one might not be able to handle a GoPro with 2 lights.

Having never used (or even seen) an underwater tripod system, I could really use suggestions.

All of the diving that we do is travel- so needs to be lightweight and packable (I really liked the mount screwed to a weight idea though!).

Headed to Grand Cayman in 2 weeks- WooHoo!

I can't help you much as it seems like you have done more video than I have... Also haven't really messed with gopro macro too much.

BUT, I did just buy a new strobe and downgraded my old Ike ds50 to off camera slave duty. I was going the gorilla pod route but then saw the Ultrapod 2. It's lightweight and compact, but also really sturdy. I have the strobe mounted to the 1/4 20 bolt on top. It could easily take a 6-8" section of 1/2" locline with a gopro mount. Just something different to think of instead of the usual gorillapod.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000ANCPNM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1405319352&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom