What is difference between Hero3+ dive housing and original Hero3 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Cwalina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,
Besides the glass front is their any difference between the Hero3 shipped with box housing and the hero3+ dive housing? Curious because I am looking for filters for hero3 dive housing.
Thanks!

As far as I know only the size, the Hero 3+ housing is 30% smaller and the fact that the original housing is waterproof up to 60 meters and the Hero 3+ is waterproof up to 40 meters. I have both housings. I use the SRP red plastic filter for my original housing. Just make sure whichever filter you go for is compaptible with your GoPro model and you can't go wrong. :wink:

I prefer my Hero 3 case, it has 2 locks on it, so it is much LESS likely to pop open underwater

So do I, totally. Last year I left my GoPro Hero3 on top of my car and drove off, never to see it again. I borrowed money and got the Hero3+ with the touch bacpac in November 2013. At the time there wasnt a compatible back door to use the bacpac with the Hero3+ so they were giving away the orignal housing with the touch bacpac as a limited offer. You can still buy the original housing seperately. As I lost only the gopro and housing I now have a spare of everything. Mounts and even remote control too.

I'm not sure if GoPro still offers this, but shortly after they came out with the Hero 3+ housing, there was some hollering about the depth rating, so they offered free Hero 3 housings with the deeper depth rating and two button closure clip. I received mine, it was just an email away....

Can you give us a sample of the Email you sent to GoPro? I'm interested in giving it a try.

Kris

Just to clear up the confusion over the different housings...

The waterproof housing that came with the original Hero 3 is rated to 60mtrs but is now called the Hero 3+ DIVE Housing. The only difference between this and the original Hero 3 Housing is it comes with a Housing Lens Protector.

So you have a couple of options if you would like a 60mtr housing.

a) Buy a replacement housing for the Hero 3
b) Buy the repackaged Hero 3+ DIVE Housing and get a Housing Lens Protector (although a little more expensive).

GoPro are now calling the Hero 3+ Housings either STANDARD (as comes with the camera) or DIVE (old Hero 3 Housing).

Hope that makes sense.

Original Hero 3 Housing (60mtr)
GoPro-Replacement-Hero3-Dive-Housing-500x500.jpg

NEW Hero 3+ DIVE Housing (60mtr)
GoPro-Replacement-Hero3-Dive-Housing-500x500.jpg

+

Housing Lens Cap Protector
Genuine-GoPro-Dive-Housing-Lens-Cover-Cap-Protector-500x500.png

Hero 3+ STANDARD Housing (40mtr)
GoPro-Hero-3-Plus-Standard-Housing-500x500.jpg

You can see the full range of housings here >>> Search - gopro housing

Hobby Mounts I do believe we need to clarify that the "original" Hero 3 housing was rated to 60 meters/190 feet and the Hero 3+ is rated to 40 meters/131 feet. I'm providing the URL that explains this from Go Pro:
Waterproof and Depth Rating | GoPro Camera

---------- Post added August 21st, 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

Can you give us a sample of the Email you sent to GoPro? I'm interested in giving it a try.

Kris

Cruisekingkris, I called them first and they were very customer friendly and asked for the serial number of my Hero 3+ and I emailed that and per their information included in my email that I'd like the complimentary Hero 3 housing. I had it in my mailbox within 5 days.

Hobby Mounts I do believe we need to clarify that the "original" Hero 3 housing was rated to 60 meters/190 feet and the Hero 3+ is rated to 40 meters/131 feet. I'm providing the URL that explains this from Go Pro:
Waterproof and Depth Rating | GoPro Camera

---------- Post added August 21st, 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

Cruisekingkris, I called them first and they were very customer friendly and asked for the serial number of my Hero 3+ and I emailed that and per their information included in my email that I'd like the complimentary Hero 3 housing. I had it in my mailbox within 5 days.
Is this offer International? Would they ship to a foreign address ?

The big difference I find between the two is how they seal. It is very easy to pinch or roll the seal on the new housing without knowing it and it is a lot harder to inspect. For this reason, the older housing will always be my goto housing around water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom