First video. Looking for criticism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

industrious95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My first attempt at underwater video.

Hero 3. Duct taped to my flashlight, although the water was so clear I didn't use the flashlight.

Mercilessly edited down in Premiere Pro. No color correction.

I'd love to hear any comments or criticism. It was a clear day, but there was a strong current and with one hand on the camera and the other hand holding onto the wreck, it was difficult keeping the camera steady. Probably, a better camera mount than a flashlight would help.

[video=youtube_share;kuPWb9E4aUQ]http://youtu.be/kuPWb9E4aUQ[/video]

I thought it was pretty good. A two handed tray system (that you can hold with one hand when necessary) is going to be much more stable. Some of the shots were shakey, especially the close up. If there is no subject that is moving, you might try running the video at half speed.. This seems like a simple way to "cheat" and stabilize a scene. I think you should be happy with the first video.

So this isn't helpful in terms of critique/lighting/technique, but I thought it was gorgeous.

I see the biggest problem is that you're still using a GoPro 3 in 2017. Surely the GoPro 6+++ is out by now. (Check your title overlay) :)

I like it, I'm not a videographer or editor, but I like the way you changed the type of shots based on the theme in the music. I'd probably have had a few of the shots a bit longer, seemed a bit "jumpy" at first, short clips with straight cuts, but then you started having a bit longer clips, with a slight transition between them. I prefered the second. (and yes, I'm not a huge Michael Bay fan)

I'd probably take the music down by about 30% too, I'd like it where the breathing and the music were just about equal intensity, maybe the music just slightly under the audio track.

But like I said, I'm no pro. I did like it, I am thinking about getting a gopro, but diving a quarry with bluegill isn't that exciting visually. :)

Keep on posting.

Steve

a very good first video. agree that a two handed tray will aid stability, there are various DIY rigs on scubaboard if you don't want to spend any money. i really think stability is key to good video, so work on that.

are you using any colour correction filters?

video lights would add a lot, but worthwhile ones come at a price. i've taken plenty of good video without them, just have to be more picky about what/where you shoot.

nice editing, perhaps the whole video was a little long.

Can't tell you how many times I looked at that and missed it. That's what happens when you edit video for a living.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom