Don"t lose your Go Pro while using the head strap again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know that there a lot of those who like to use their head strap with the Go Pro, and are concerned about losing their camera while diving. That is why I created the Go Pro head strap leash (patent Pending). This leash works really well and will not impede your movements and it will provide your camera security and give you peace of mind. Here is a scuba board member doing a review on this leash. I feel that this is a practical item that is needed and that is why I wanted to inform divers of this great product.
[h=2]GoPro Head Strap Leash by Z Gear review[/h]
A few months ago I got an opportunity to try out a Z gear head strap leash. I was only able two make 2 dives with due the extremely cold winter here in Ohio. I have only done 6 dives with a go pro so far. As with a lot of divers I have talked to finding a comfortable way to carry it is a great debate. My objective with a camera is to record a dive but not get lost in recording it. I am not really interest in using a tray or really having to do anything with it during a dive just "set it and forget it" the old Ronco slogan.
I liked the idea of a head strap but have heard many times I would loose the camera and not know it. The leash is a great solution to this problem as I quickly found out. On the last dive with the camera it slipped of my head. I figured it just slipped off and I noticed right away. Once I got home and looked at the video it was a good 2 minutes before I realized it slipped off. If you dive with a head strap you might want to look into these for some cheap insurance. If I am using the head strap I will be using the leash too for sure.
I will say I was a bit concerned with a entanglement issues with the strap being worn on my left arm. But even with using my bailout bottle for practice at the end of the dive it went unnoticed I had it on.[video=youtube;xDrwyanGrto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDrwyanGrto[/video]​

Coulda used this 4 years ago (very first dive with a gopro) but better late than ever. Sign me up.

Last edited:
Gopros and head straps were invented for documenting action where your hands were occupied. Divers please burn your head straps, nobody wants to watch any of your go pro videos shot from a head strap with your video jumping and turning all over the place. They make tripods for shooting professional videos, while nobody is saying you need to bring a tripod diving with you, think about it. The norm is steady video using a tripod, not crap jumping all over the place.

Gopros and head straps were invented for documenting action where your hands were occupied. Divers please burn your head straps, nobody wants to watch any of your go pro videos shot from a head strap with your video jumping and turning all over the place. They make tripods for shooting professional videos, while nobody is saying you need to bring a tripod diving with you, think about it. The norm is steady video using a tripod, not crap jumping all over the place.
While you do make a valid point, there are some who are choosing to use the head mount as a hands free mount option. Although I recommend our BCD mount as a better "hands free" mount option, I respect the fact that there are those who are happy with the head mount, and have also learned to slow their head movements while filming.

or a chin strap...
Chin Strap Head Band Combo | MAKO Spearguns

Without some sort of "other" attachment, it's just a matter of time before you lose your Go-Pro.

@Mike, I always found it to be a little cumbersome to carry a tripod while spearfishing...

The chin strap is another good option, but I also found a bonus use of our head mount leash from some of the stores which are selling our product to also secure dive masks. They usually sell them for those coming back to heir favorite shop for a second mask after lost their mask. Dive shop owners are recommending that for those who keep forgetting to clip their mask to their BC, should use the leash! It works great I didn't even think about that one! Until after I lost my own mask while kicking out to the kelps in CA. I just thought I would add this bit of info for those who have lost their mask before and are nervous about it happening again.

Head, shoulder or chin.. Unless your hands are busy holding a spear gun (and hopefully not equipped with scuba tank), all those mounting options for dive videos are simply lame.

It's an option for those that enjoy the novelty of having a camera attached to your body and not on your hands - which includes a majority of the GoPro impulse-buyers - folks that don't even ride a bike around their block but get a GoPro to film their upcoming adrenalin-filled cliff jumping videos.

The end result of those mounts is simply cr*p. Of course, you - as a manufacturer of a shoulder mount, will disagree.

Head, shoulder or chin.. Unless your hands are busy holding a spear gun (and hopefully not equipped with scuba tank), all those mounting options for dive videos are simply lame.

It's an option for those that enjoy the novelty of having a camera attached to your body and not on your hands - which includes a majority of the GoPro impulse-buyers - folks that don't even ride a bike around their block but get a GoPro to film their upcoming adrenalin-filled cliff jumping videos.

The end result of those mounts is simply cr*p. Of course, you - as a manufacturer of a shoulder mount, will disagree.

Wow that is way too harsh! If someone wants to make "home movies" of their diving exploits without tying up their hands, a head mount is a GREAT solution (even if they are using a speargun on scuba).

Of course it is difficult to frame the shots perfectly and the image will bounce around and it is difficult to get long steady shots... but in the end, the head cam is a ton of fun.

I wear one when scuba diving almost all the time. When i don't wear one, I feel like i still am filming and have an internal dialog about how this scene will look to anyone else... funny when the camera is not there!

Last edited:

Yeah, you are correct "I do disagree". It is not reasonable to assume that every one feels they way you do about hands free mounts, and their practical purposes. I want to give you some clear examples of why hands free mounts are a very good thing to have for certain people. A new diver who wants to film their dive but does not want to fiddle with using a camera and just focus on diving. Those Chasing down crab and lobster or going out for a lion fish hunt. Those wanting to film while collecting item from the bottom, shell or artifacts. Instructors who wish to video their dive of certain students, etc.... Obviously having a tray is the best way to film but if you wish to turn on your camera and forget about it, a hands free mount is your option. My perspective on this is that many divers have different needs and objectives. They also have different abilities and capabilities. Some are able to film quite well with the head strap others can not control their head movements ,and frequently forget how to minimize the bubbles in their video. Some divers constantly are turning around to look for their dive buddy or continuously looking at their gauges. This would require a lot of editing or probably makes most of the video unusable. That is where the BCD mount and the Extended BCD mount would solve all these issues.

I would say judging by the range of hands-free mounts we sell, they are very popular. Another important point is that any video from a single point of view can quickly become boring to watch. The best videos use a number of different mounting positions. So, in my opinion, the more options available for the end-user, the better :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom