GoPro = Backscatter 10+ vs. Macromate mini macro lens footage (green water diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Some GoPro Hero 3+ footage from this past weekend here in New England (charter from Gloucester, MA).

Dive 1 was filmed using the Backscatter 10+ macro lens. Dive 2 = the BS macro mate mini lens (1st time I've used it)

I use a SeaLife Sea Dragon 1200 light and small tray. Depths were in the 30-65 range.

Decent results, although hard to keep things steady at close range with a small tray

Paddock & Picket - 7 Sept 2014 - Zurich-Diver

I purchased the MM and then went outside to my backyard and tried to get a shot of a apple blossom with a slight wind which could mimic the water. I couldn't do it--too much movement so I reasoned in my green water diving it wouldn't be feasible to get that close without a tripod and I didn't want to rip the reef apart trying to hold on for dear life. I stepped done to one +10 diopter. I'll test that out in a couple weeks. Until then, I appreciate your video. I learn so much here. I felt like I knew how far away you were from your subjects, however perhaps you might have annotated that in the vid, a good example of how those lenses are performing outside of using a tripod.... Thankyou!!!m

Hi Deb, good point.

For the second dive where I was using the Macromate mini, I kept in mind the "measuring stick" that comes with the camera (I do not take it underwater....too many things to keep track of). So I would estimate in most shots I was approx. 3-4 inches from the subject. The one I am least sure about is the single crab extreme close-up, since that footage seems to be the least focused of all of the clips....I honestly can't remember if I was too close or far away or if perhaps movement was causing the lack of focus.

One other tip I've found helpful with my Hero 3+ that I've learned through trial and error = once I start shooting, particularly with very light colored subjects against a dark background using bright video lights....the camera seems to take a few seconds to adjust to the given lighting. So....I take that into account when I am shooting, knowing the first few seconds won't be great and trying to stay steady on the subject for slightly longer than I think I need. My rule of thumb with putting together a video is I want at least 4-5 seconds/clip. I also admit that bright colored subjects seem to be the hardest to get good footage of.....it may be that I need a gentler light or a diffuser of some type. That said, some of the white anemone footage using the MM came out pretty well....less so with the 10+.

Hope this helps.

Chris

3-4 inches and no triood? Nice job! It sounds like the camera needs a few moments to adjust the white balance...hence the few moments delay. I usually do use diffusers...I like the softer light. I may end up making some to go over my lights. Overall, nice job for low viz, macro, and water that's less than still!!!

That's a real lobster!!. How do you find editing?. We are considered purchasing a setup in October but REALLY hate ediiting

Editing - I've been using iMovie for these clips. There are a few extra steps with Gopro footage.... Requiring you to process the clips into files readable by third party programs like IMovie, but really pretty simple using the Gopro free software. You can also use the Gopro software to adjust white balance, remove unwanted ups, etc.

I like using IMovie since it allows you to seamlessly weave in video clips, photos I've processed in aperture as well as any music from iTunes. Adding titles, transitions, etc is reAlly simple.

The toughest part with the Gopro is that it be footage takes up a lot of room on your hard drive....but the results can be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 16th, 2014 at 02:19 PM ----------

Perhaps being 6'5" and using 2 hands creates some amount of stability ....;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom