Lights for the GoPro 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I've been using a Gopro 3 black underwater for a year or so, with red filters, etc., results are not bad at all, but quite dark when at depth/distance.

Now wondering whether I should add lights (next trip is Nusa Lembongan off Bali, hopefully for sharks, mantas etc). I have a tray with 2 handles, so could put on 2 lights. These things look quite pricey, would two times 500 lumen make enough of a difference or should I really go for a couple of 1200...? Are there good brands which do not cost an arm and a leg? Can it be useful to use filters as well as lights....?

Thanks for any advice.

Best,

Rene

P.S. Posted this to the wrong section just now, apologies for the duplication.

The SP Gadgets POV Light has just been released...

It's a maximum of 300 lumens which various power settings, runs on two Hero 3 or Hero 3+ batteries and can also be used as a dual battery charger for your GoPro Camera batteries.

SP-POV-Light-Box-500x500.jpg

SP-POV-Light-3-500x500.jpg

SP-POV-Light-Open-500x500.jpg

SP Gadgets POV Dive Light - Underwater light for GoPro Hero Camera

Sealife seems to have a pretty decent video light available in 1200 and 2000

You generally wouldn't use your color filters with a light - makes the subject pink.

For things that tend to stay far away from you (i.e. rays and sharks, unless very friendly), lights won't make much of a difference. The reach is limited to only a couple meters, unless you do invest on massive (and expensive) dive lights.

As of the product posted above - avoid mounting the camera so close to the light, specially if the water has some suspended material in order to avoid some annoying backscatter. Yes, it can be seen on day dives too.

You CAN use lights with filters, as long as the light's output is white and wide - as most modern LED lights are. Here is a sample using an EelVision red filter and lights: GoPro with red filter + diopter + small torch - YouTube

Have a look at the chinese brand "Archon" (lights from $60-120), which many people have been using and seem to like. I got a D11V(?) with 860 lumens that I haven't taken diving yet, but it's solid, bright and wide. If you want to avoid the Chinese products, there is also a Canadian manufacturer called "iTorch" that is more affordable than other big brands.

I use twin sola 1200's and was considering more. You can never have enough light! I've come to my senses however and will probably keep the 1200's and upgrade to the Hero 4 (from 2) with a simple dive housing. And save a small fortune!

I got some great footage with a red filter and the twin Sola's.

Since you indicated you're using a red filter, I'm assuming you're diving blue water. I dive mostly green water for comparison so there a huge difference in viz and backscatter issues. I bought two 800 eLed's for my shooting conditions. I was pleasantly surprised using them on a Manta Ray night dive in Hawaii. I think a choice of lights is based on the type of water and viz you'll predominantly dive and your budget. These 800's will blow out any macro shots, so that's not do-able for me. Here's my not-so-well-known vid with the lights for your perusal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BV9aSNiJ53U

Last edited:
You CAN use lights with filters, as long as the light's output is white and wide - as most modern LED lights are. Here is a sample using an EelVision red filter and lights: GoPro with red filter + diopter + small torch - YouTube

Have a look at the chinese brand "Archon" (lights from $60-120), which many people have been using and seem to like. I got a D11V(?) with 860 lumens that I haven't taken diving yet, but it's solid, bright and wide. If you want to avoid the Chinese products, there is also a Canadian manufacturer called "iTorch" that is more affordable than other big brands.[/QUOTE]

Dear Toozler,

Thanks for the useful and speedy reply. Re white and wide: what specs do you advise?

Thanks again.

Rene

Rene, most LED lights output white light (5000-5500K color temperature). If you use an older bulb light, you will notice that the area lit will be much redder.

Go for something wider than 100 degrees - the cheaper Archon model has a 110deg beam. I was using a 80deg light on that video but mostly shooting on "narrow" mode. The GoPro most likely averages the white balance on the whole area, so if only a portion of the area is lit, it might try to settle for something in between. A 110deg beam usually does not fill the whole frame but close enough. Ideally, 2 lights with a slight overlap is better, but that depends on your budget. If you film on narrow or medium modes, a 110deg light fills the frame.

Dear Toozler,

Again, many thanks!

Rene

Rene, most LED lights output white light (5000-5500K color temperature). If you use an older bulb light, you will notice that the area lit will be much redder.

Go for something wider than 100 degrees - the cheaper Archon model has a 110deg beam. I was using a 80deg light on that video but mostly shooting on "narrow" mode. The GoPro most likely averages the white balance on the whole area, so if only a portion of the area is lit, it might try to settle for something in between. A 110deg beam usually does not fill the whole frame but close enough. Ideally, 2 lights with a slight overlap is better, but that depends on your budget. If you film on narrow or medium modes, a 110deg light fills the frame.
If you do film on narrow mode you will need to use the LCD screen to ensure your subject is in the shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom