Beneath the Surface Tray vs. Snake River Prototyping Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm finally looking to upgrade my GoPro setup with a proper tray + lights and have basically narrowed it down to the Beneath The Surface Boomerang Tray or the Snake River Prototyping Tray.

Anyone have a preference or experience with either product? Both seem to be high quality. I own the older BlurFix Lens for the Hero2 from Snake River Prototyping and fond the build quality to be very good; I've also looked at the Beneath the Surface tray which also looks very nice.

229.99 BTS Boomerang Camera Tray is with Locline Arms and Universal Light Mounting Brackets
Boomerang GoPro Light Tray - Dive Right in Scuba

180.00 SRP The Tray with Locline Arms with two 24 mm light mounts
SRP Tray
24 mm Light Mounts

I'm planning on purchasing a couple Archon D11V/Archon W17V which are specifically made for the SRP light mounts but will also work with the universal mounts that come with the Beneath the Surface tray.

Thoughts?

Check out the Sharkfin Gopro tray on Ebay, looks nearly identical to SRP set up but w lightweight SS instead of aluminum. Just got one in mail today and is sturdy, stable, for half the price. (59 dollars). arrived 3 days after i ordered.
I decided to buy 2 24mm light mounts from SRP w archon D11v holders for 50 dollars that mimics your setup essentially.

I ended up ordering the Snake River Prototyping (SRP) Tray with the Universal Light Mounts. Tried it on a dive this weekend with just one light (DRIS 1000 lumens with a homemade diffuser). Not sure I like the universal mounts.. the lights don't seem as stable but I'm going to see how they work with the Archon lights and maybe order the 24 mm Light Mounts.

I ordered a set of Archon W17V lights which haven't come yet from China..

Thanks for sharing that - looks like a great site and lights really light up the whole area for wide angle. For some reason you are getting a shadow when you move in closer on subjects...not sure what is causing this...perhaps light angle. So many beautiful anemones at that site!

Yeah I think it was definitely the lighting angle. It was my first time using these lights so I need to learn to adjust them better. Overall I am happy with the setup.

I did a couple more dives this weekend with it but still want to tweak it a bit.

Nice light and music, but I think you are to shaky on filming. Have you balanced the rig ? - easier to hold and get smoother shots with a balanced rig, neutral or slightly negative. Pity with those old lobster pots...... still fishing. Lots of them here in Norway too. Should have been remowed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom