GoPro Macro video best setups?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thepopol777

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I know there is a ton of topics about video and macro setups, but I didn't find answers about some questions I have. Regarding the quality of the answers on this forum, I've decided to create my account here and I'm sure I'll find answers :)

First, maybe I should list my current gear here. I have a GoPro hero3 Silver and the BlurFix SO UR Pro.
I would like to do razor-sharps macro shots, especially of nudibranchias, and I would like your advices.
I intend to buy the SRP Tray with 2 Archon W17V.

Then, I started to search but there is so much topics on the internet, I'm kind of lost :/

I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PymivvX8RqA

In the description, the author list his setup:

- GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition
- Backscatter Flip3.1 filter
- Backscatter Macromate Mini 55mm
- Marumi Macro +10 Filter
- SRP Tray
- SRP 24mm Light Mounts
- SRP URPro CY Filter
- Archon Video Light w17 x 2

So here is what I would like to know:

1- If the Marumi filter is a "+10", how much is the Blackscatter Macromate?
2- How does he stacks so many filters??? ( URPro + Marumi + Macromate )
3- If you use Lights, why do you even need the URPro? Is it usefull in a way?
4- What is the real difference between the Marumi+10 and the Macromate? Is the stacking inevitable for good macros?
5- Does the Hero3+ does better macro shots thant the Hero3 ? Is it worth to change my goPro?
6- It must be hard to adjust the GoPro without screen, I bought the LCD Touch but has you must know, when you go a little deep, the case press the screen and the GoPro became unusable. Is there a fix to this problem today?

Thanks a lot, hope you'll have time to answer :)

I just got back from Fiji. I had broken some ribs just prior to my trip so, instead of trying to handle my big camera rig, I decided to have fun with my GoPro. I bought the Macromate mini/red flip filter from Backscatter...and I have to say I was VERY disappointed in the quality of images I got through the Macro lens.

I had serious vignetting all around the edges with serious stretching and deforming of the image. Only the very center was unaffected. I tried to see if it was the placement and installation, but it was as seen on their video.

I will be contacting them with examples of the photos, to see if it was operator error, or what.

I just got back from Fiji. I had broken some ribs just prior to my trip so, instead of trying to handle my big camera rig, I decided to have fun with my GoPro. I bought the Macromate mini/red flip filter from Backscatter...and I have to say I was VERY disappointed in the quality of images I got through the Macro lens.

I had serious vignetting all around the edges with serious stretching and deforming of the image. Only the very center was unaffected. I tried to see if it was the placement and installation, but it was as seen on their video.

I will be contacting them with examples of the photos, to see if it was operator error, or what.

The Macromate lens will give vignetting if the GoPro is set to wide angle, so medium or narrow is better. Since the GoPro is a fixed focus camera, you need to be spot on with lens distance from your target to get good quality video. It is difficult to get right. On balance, I've decided life is too short, but may return to it at some point.

Here's my effort (narrow FOV; 1080; 60 FPS): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/486832-macro-video-bloody-tricky.html

i have tried a few marco lens.. and i think that any +10 marco lens is okay. dun need to buy the branded ones.. as long as you do not shoot in 1080 superview.

even if you shoot at normal 1080p wide, its going to be okay.. just not superview.

i am talking about subject that is about a thumb size nudi.... if you want pygmy seahorse serious, then i have not tried to that extend... hope to do so soon.

The Macromate lens will give vignetting if the GoPro is set to wide angle, so medium or narrow is better. Since the GoPro is a fixed focus camera, you need to be spot on with lens distance from your target to get good quality video. It is difficult to get right. On balance, I've decided life is too short, but may return to it at some point.

Here's my effort (narrow FOV; 1080; 60 FPS): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/486832-macro-video-bloody-tricky.html

I had it set to medium.

1- If the Marumi filter is a "+10", how much is the Blackscatter Macromate?
- KIV on this question... i will need to find a way to check how many + it is.

2- How does he stacks so many filters??? ( URPro + Marumi + Macromate )
- the marcomate can be stack on the marumi, likewise the marumi can be stack on top of the macromate... then the URPRO if needed.
- or the URPRO can be the base of it all. it just depends on if he has the glass URPRO, i assume filter, or the plastic ones.

3- If you use Lights, why do you even need the URPro? Is it usefull in a way?
- if you have video light, of at least 400-600 lumens.. it good enough for marco videos.. and a red filter is not really needed.
- its really best to use light for marco.. and leave the filter for wide angle stuff...
- it really can be also a personal preference. try at filter ( a good one) on a marco subject, with and without light...

4- What is the real difference between the Marumi+10 and the Macromate? Is the stacking inevitable for good macros?
- imo, you do not need to stack it up to get really good marco. i still doing some experiment on this. kiv for now.
- for nudi branch marco, about thumb size, any +10 lens imo will do that job. as for pygmy seahorse type... you 'may' need to stack. my experiment is gearing towards that... side.

5- Does the Hero3+ does better macro shots thant the Hero3 ? Is it worth to change my goPro?
- if you are talking about picture. its all about the same... as both are 12MB ( if i am not wrong). as for video.. if you do not use the 3+ superview, then its should be the same. as i mention above, if you use superview for marco on any +10 lens, you get a blur at the both side of the video, there is a name for this effect, cant rem what it is call :).

6- It must be hard to adjust the GoPro without screen, I bought the LCD Touch but has you must know, when you go a little deep, the case press the screen and the GoPro became unusable. Is there a fix to this problem today?
- yes. for marco you really need the LCD. it helps a lot...
- how deep you talking about. the 3+ housing goes to about 40m. the dive house ( 3 housing ) goes to about 60m.
- if you are going beyond those depth all the time, then get a 100m alu housing from patima/recsea etc. expensive, but worth it if you do go to those depth often.

I hope to get sometime this week to try out what i want.. ambit, it in a pool. i think it will be good.

Hi Hellhole

Thanks a lot for answering, that will helps for sure!

2- Ok, thanks. I'm surprised because a SRP retailer told me that the Marumi doesn't have female pattern so we couldn't stack something on it.

3- Perfect. Does the Archon W17V is a good one ( Max 860 lumens, 5000K )? Or it is too bright ( Andrew said somewhere that too bright is bad for macro )?

4- About +10, there is a lot of "cheap" lenses on the market, what is the difference between the Marumi and those? Durability?
....Does the "perfect distance" camera-subject for macro is the same between the Marumi and the Macromate?

5- Yes I was talking about the picture sharpness, so I'll keep my hero3, thanks!

6- For the LCD I didn't remember that I asked the question here already, so I created a new topic, since it is not a macro setup thing.

Back
Top Bottom