For those who like to use their camera pole this is for you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know their are a lot of you who like to use their camera pole, its just a lot easier and less expensive than a tray set up. It also leaves one hand free and is not as heavy as well. The only thing missing is a light. You will need the light when you are filming toward dim areas, like crevices and holes. I would like to know what you guys think about this and if you think it is a needed product. I have used this adjustable light mount, on the camera pole several times now, and I find it very practical. Tell me what you think. Good or Bad idea?

[video=youtube;4o2vUgX76GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o2vUgX76GM[/video]

I think it's a good idea. The important thing is giving the ability to reposition your torch or change it. Some have a very narrow light range or have a warmer light color. At the end, video and photography are all about lighting. Some like to follow standard rules and others like to play with it to get different results. Some like the continuous light of torches, others prefer strobes.
I'll give it a try on my next dive!

I have a JBL 3 section spear pole (with the middle section removed) on which I mount an angle bracket that holds the camera and the corded light head. The battery pack (with the light switch) mounts on my pack belt and a surgical tube holds the cord loop to the pole. the light head clips (using a modified money clip) to the bracket - made it myself, but you can buy the pole, the light, and get the bracket from Lowes in the fence and gate hardware section. Get galvanized.

I think it's a good idea. The important thing is giving the ability to reposition your torch or change it. Some have a very narrow light range or have a warmer light color. At the end, video and photography are all about lighting. Some like to follow standard rules and others like to play with it to get different results. Some like the continuous light of torches, others prefer strobes.
I'll give it a try on my next dive!

The light mount is adjustable, allowing you to re position your torch or change when needed. It is also is off set a few inches, from the pole, to avoid the camera shadow. I found the best way to use this set up is by having it in the non extended position.

I've been searching for a good way to attach a light to my gopro pole- I'm definitely going to try this one out! Thanks!

I've been searching for a good way to attach a light to my gopro pole- I'm definitely going to try this one out! Thanks!

Great! pm us before your order when you are ready, so you can receive a scuba board member discount of 20%.

Great work, the experienced GoPro UW Pole users I have spoken to, say the upside down position is more stable. I don't pole but do mount GoPro upside down under camera tray and it works great. You probably could invert the rig you have and hold by the light instead of the pole. You need plenty O'Lumens but the upside is that the angle will be very wide as the light is so far behind the camera. The other upside is the light beam is like a view finder, if it is in the light beam it is in the picture (provided you have lined up the light and camera ). You can experiment a little on a wall indoors and see if the camera body and pole cast a significant shadow, but probably already did that.

Great work, the experienced GoPro UW Pole users I have spoken to, say the upside down position is more stable. I don't pole but do mount GoPro upside down under camera tray and it works great. You probably could invert the rig you have and hold by the light instead of the pole. You need plenty O'Lumens but the upside is that the angle will be very wide as the light is so far behind the camera. The other upside is the light beam is like a view finder, if it is in the light beam it is in the picture (provided you have lined up the light and camera ). You can experiment a little on a wall indoors and see if the camera body and pole cast a significant shadow, but probably already did that.

Thanks, for the complement, I appreciate that.
I find that having a camera upside down under the pole is a bit hard to work with especially when I use the LCD screen. I like to ensure my subject is in the frame. When using the medium or narrow setting on the Go Pro the LCD screen is vital. This is just my opinion, perhaps others are comfortable using the camera inverted.

I just wanted to present a light mount that was fully adjustable ,allowing you to have just the right distance from the pole, giving you the capability you to illuminate your subject and still keeping it stream lined and easy to handle.

I just wanted to present a light mount that was fully adjustable ,allowing you to have just the right distance from the pole, giving you the capability you to illuminate your subject and still keeping it stream lined and easy to handle.

I probably added something important at the end and it was not clear, with the light you don't need an LCD back, just shine the light on your subject and it will be centered if you align the camera and light. Longer battery time and you might see something you would have missed if you were concentrating on the LCD screen. You may not be able to do this, but works for me with a camera tray, maybe pole is different

I probably added something important at the end and it was not clear, with the light you don't need an LCD back, just shine the light on your subject and it will be centered if you align the camera and light. Longer battery time and you might see something you would have missed if you were concentrating on the LCD screen. You may not be able to do this, but works for me with a camera tray, maybe pole is different

I see what you mean know. The only thing is since the light is not permanently fixed in one position, and is adjustable ( meant to move) this might have an affect in your original alignment of the camera with light. I would feel more comfortable confirming my subject is aligned with the light via the LCD screen, especially when in the narrow or even medium settings.If it was not aligned I would simply adjust my light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom