New Diver - Rig Help Please! Tray? Pole? Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harozi2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone! I've been reading a ton throughout the forums and you guys have been incredibly helpful!

I am new to diving and just started the certification process. I am planning to get my open water dives in soon before going on a trip next month. I will be heading to Australia and diving Cairns toward the end of November. I am very interested in keeping up the hobby but since I'm new, I'm reluctant to spend a ton of money.

So far I've purchased a GoPro Hero 4 Black and the LCD BacPac since I can use that for lots of other purposes too.

I think I will get the Flip 3.1 filter with Dive and MacroMate mini... I can use the top connection for the Dive and the MacroMate on the side right??

So here is where I really need the help... I can't quite decide what to do regarding a pole mount versus an SRP tray. I know everyone says that the tray will provide the most stable shots but I really like the perspective that a pole shot gives you. Though I do like the fact that the tray can double as a tripod if I want to set it down... So is it possible to use the tray mounted to a pole? Is that just ridiculous? I guess I was thinking of using a smaller pole that I would keep retracted while using the tray and then extend the pole and use that when I want the perspective shots... Will that toss off the balance terribly of the pole?

Final question... I plan on doing mostly day dives but potentially 1 or 2 night dives. From what I've been reading, the filter will be much better than getting a light during the day and if I want to use video lights at night, I'd likely need to purchase 2 wide lights and that will get pretty expensive. So my thought is to skip the video lights all together and just focus on getting good video during the day and just experiencing the night. Is that a terrible mistake? If I keep my dives 60ft or less, will the Dive filter during the day be sufficient?

Thanks everyone!
Chris

Congratulations on starting your diving career!

I'd recommend finishing your first ten dives before you start task loading yourself with a camera. You have a lot of stuff to get used to and things to see before you have the capacity to manage staying near your buddy AND taking a picture.

That said, when you are ready to start taking pictures, Camera tray... Unless you really want to take selfies. But even then you would do better to simply make your buddy take your picture :) Later on, you can think about mounting your camera to your spear gun... (I noticed that you like SCUBA gear... Me too!)

Regarding lights, as a new diver you will have plenty of opportunity to take pictures in water less than 60' deep. I think you idea of sticking with a filter and only taking day shots is a good idea, they work really well in clear water to 30' and well enough to 60'- especially if you have photoshop or light room.

Dive safe!

Hey everyone! I've been reading a ton throughout the forums and you guys have been incredibly helpful!

I am new to diving and just started the certification process. I am planning to get my open water dives in soon before going on a trip next month. I will be heading to Australia and diving Cairns toward the end of November. I am very interested in keeping up the hobby but since I'm new, I'm reluctant to spend a ton of money.

So far I've purchased a GoPro Hero 4 Black and the LCD BacPac since I can use that for lots of other purposes too.

I think I will get the Flip 3.1 filter with Dive and MacroMate mini... I can use the top connection for the Dive and the MacroMate on the side right??

So here is where I really need the help... I can't quite decide what to do regarding a pole mount versus an SRP tray. I know everyone says that the tray will provide the most stable shots but I really like the perspective that a pole shot gives you. Though I do like the fact that the tray can double as a tripod if I want to set it down... So is it possible to use the tray mounted to a pole? Is that just ridiculous? I guess I was thinking of using a smaller pole that I would keep retracted while using the tray and then extend the pole and use that when I want the perspective shots... Will that toss off the balance terribly of the pole?

Final question... I plan on doing mostly day dives but potentially 1 or 2 night dives. From what I've been reading, the filter will be much better than getting a light during the day and if I want to use video lights at night, I'd likely need to purchase 2 wide lights and that will get pretty expensive. So my thought is to skip the video lights all together and just focus on getting good video during the day and just experiencing the night. Is that a terrible mistake? If I keep my dives 60ft or less, will the Dive filter during the day be sufficient?

Thanks everyone!
Chris

There a lot of different mounts to choose form that are good for diving and they all have different points of view. You will find that some will favor a particular
mount and another will not. Whether they like the function, price or view point it all plays a part in their selection of what "fits their needs". There are two categories of mounts for underwater pov filming. HANDS on MOUNTS and HANDS FREE MOUNTS.

"HANDS ON MOUNTS" Include : Camera Trays , and Camera Poles

The tray being the best way to film. Overall it will be the most steady and accurate. You will be able to use video lights which are a must for close up shots.It is considerable more expensive than all the other mount options , but is is the best way to film .It is also the heaviest and you will have two use both hands to use it.

The camera pole can be a great choice if price is an issue. The pole can be held with one hand and will give the capability to do selfy's in the water or on the boat. It will be fun and practical to use. If you plan on filming in holes or dark areas you will need a light .A light on your camera pole will also enhance your filming capabilities when doing close up shots of your subjects. The monopole dive light mount is an adjustable light mount (
https://www.zgearinc.com/ ) that will let you angle the light to the area where the camera is filming.The pole mount will require a little more effort when trying to achieve steady filming but it can be done with practice. A camera pole set up with a light is considerably less expensive, when compared to a camera tray set up. It also requires one hand instead of two. Consider these points when determining between these two options.

"HANDS FREE MOUNTS",

Head mount/ mask mount
BCD Mount/Long arm BCD mount

These two hands free mount are great options.
The head mount or mask mount should be secured with a leash avoid losing the camera or the mask with the camera. The Z Gear head strap leash works great for you Go Pro head strap or your mask with the Go Pro mount. Taking video with the head mount is tricky if you can remember to make slow movements and avoid looking around to quickly. Your head tends to move around a lot, so this will take some practice, but it can be done. You will also have to figure out how to avoid getting the bubbles in the shot when stopping to look at something, this also is something that will require some practice.

The BCD mount is a mount that sits near your shoulder. It is a mount designed to just turn on and forget about it.You will want to have your Go Pro on the wide setting when using the BCD mount, it will capture your dive without worrying about controlling your head movements it will let you look around for something interesting or to check your gauges with out this being in your video.

The BCD long arm mount is an extended version of the BCD mount. Like the BCD mount you can turn it on and forget about the mount. You don't have to worry about your head movements as well. The benefits of the long arm BCD mount is that you can film on Narrow or medium mode on your Go Pro because you will have the camera sitting in front of you. You can also choose to use the LCD screen especially when on the narrow mode.
The adjustable arm lets you put the camera in many different positions, you can pair the BCD long arm mount with the BCD dive light mount to have
complete hands free system. The adjustable light mount gives you the capability to illuminate your subject while simultaneously using the BCD long arm mount.

I hope this gives you more info on your different options.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom