new to diving and needing HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there, I am planning on going diving for the first time in Thailand/Indonesia at the start of next year.
I have a Gopro Hero3 silver and LCD screen and Im wondering what sort of setting I should have it on? also I am trying to decide what sort of filter(s) I should get. I have found http://www.fotodioxpro.com/fotodiox-pro ... hero3.html FLIP3.1 Combo Package with SHALLOW, DIVE, and DEEP Underwater Color Correction Filters for GoPro Hero4, Hero3+ & Hero3 http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com/Pr ... ilter.aspx what do you think will be best or are there better ones out there? what is the difference between the pink red and orange as the all claim do do the same thing. i dont have the money to be purchacing video lights.
and lastly what is the best software to edit/color correct the footage with on a PC?
Thanks Amy

Hi Amy,

I bet you will get hooked on this diving thing.

Although you will be seeing some beautiful things you will want to save on video, be careful with splitting up your attention between diving and worrying about a camera. I've seen people shoot straight up out of the water, bump into fire coral, and other non-pleasant things as they were too distracted with their GoPro's. Enjoy a couple dives and when you feel comfortable enough to handle both, take the camera down with you.

As of the basics to get started:
- I'd recommend shooting 1080p 30fps (or 60fps if you have a large memory card or a computer/tablet to clear your card between every couple dives).
- Get some sort of gear leash and clip the camera on you - this is sold at most dive shops. Places like Ko Tao in Thailand are littered with brand new GoPro's yet to be found.
- You could get fancy with filters that flip, spin, rotate, detach, but I use and recommend the simplest (and cheapest) solution: EelVision GoPro HERO4 HERO3 / HERO3+ Red Filter - Dive / Scuba / Snorkel | EelVisionEelVision . I've used it on dozen of dives and can't find a filter that produces better colors. For diving, you'd need only the red filter, but if you're planning on doing some snorkeling, the shallow water works well too.
- Get the antifog inserts (the link above also sells them) and activate them before you leave. Make sure to push the inserts down with a coin/key so they don't block the seal on the housing.

If you yet don't have a plan for your trip, Ko Tao (Thailand) has plenty of dive schools, some good, some not. Diving and getting certified there is just slightly cheaper than other places, as sometimes they will give you free accommodation. Many people say "diving in Ko Tao is awesome!" because they just got certified there and don't have much to compare with - it is in fact not that good.

Indonesia on the other hand has the best diving I've done. The Komodo national park has more than just dragons, it's more interesting underwater than above. Some sites have a lot of current, not recommended for beginners, but dive companies can plan around that. I've been also to Pulau Weh, which was cheap all around ($11 a night bungalow over the water) and has good diving.

Enjoy!

Amy, learn to dive first and do photo/video later. It is more than a mental exercise. Buoyancy control is a physical skill and can take some time to master. It is one thing to flail around in a lake where there is nothing to damage vs. on a nice reef where there is fragile coral. You will be amazed with consistent diving how quickly you can master it and the tasks associated with keeping you alive in the depths. After that is the time to add to the workload with photography. If you need to document the moment you become certified ask the instructor to carry the camera and take the video for you. I look at anything I took in the first 50 dives and shake my head and say it was not worth the effort.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom