Has any one ever lost their camera pole!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I should put this up, since I know their are a lot of divers who like to use the camera pole, and losing it could be a bummer for them like it was for me. Last week I lost my camera pole with camera and my light mount with an archon light.Wow triple stinger!!!
Not sure exactly where it happened but I had the wrist lanyard clipped to my D ring. We where kicking out to where the south wall of the canyon begins, at La Jolla Shores CA. I remember un-clipping it off my D ring for a brief moment to video a curious seal approaching us at the surface. After it left I re clipped it back to my D ring and resumed kicking out to our drop zone. At least I thought I did. As soon as we got to drop area I check for it and it was Gone! We turned the dive into a search and rescue mission for the pole, with no luck.
Now some lucky diver is going to have a free Go Pro,pole and light.

Do most of you just use the wrist lanyard until you are ready to hold on to it, for the whole dive? Or do some of you like me clip it to you and then then un clip once you have descended. I am curious to find out how most of you like to carry your camera pole.

I have since then attached a small leash to this pole as an insurance, so I won't lose it again

I use something like this, which you allows you to keep the gopro clipped to you all the time. coil lanyard - Search Results for coil lanyard - LeisurePro

I hate to say this but that s actually better than the leash I made for the pole. Mine was just a coiled leash that I clip to my D ring. This one will allow you to buckle the the leash to a closed, coiled position. When unbuckled, it can spring open into the uncoiled position, pretty cool!!! I may just have purchase this one, very inexpensive but practical item. Thanks for the link. I don't want to lose another camera pole with all the goodies on it!

Yeah, I implemented this after I let go of a GoPro on a pole while fiddling with my BC straps. Luckily the vis was good as my buddy ended up spotting it bobbing up and down at the surface from about 50ft down (I kept looking around on the reef like an idiot, forgetting it was positive!!!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom