Sharks attacking GoPro users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chief Dave L

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In Roatan today, I was not allowed to bring my GoPro on a shark dive by the operator of the shark dive place. The reason given was all of the shark attacks on divers using GoPros. I called BS and got off the boat. Since I had already paid for the dive I'm out my $125. Not really the issue but I was never informed about the GoPro ban until I got on the boat. Again...their pool, their rules. However, I'd really like to know more about the shark attacks on GoPro users. I've emailed them a few minutes ago so don't expect an immediate response, but I wonder if anyone else on the board has run into this.

Thanks,
Dave

In Roatan today, I was not allowed to bring my GoPro on a shark dive by the operator of the shark dive place. The reason given was all of the shark attacks on divers using GoPros. I called BS and got off the boat. Since I had already paid for the dive I'm out my $125. Not really the issue but I was never informed about the GoPro ban until I got on the boat. Again...their pool, their rules. However, I'd really like to know more about the shark attacks on GoPro users. I've emailed them a few minutes ago so don't expect an immediate response, but I wonder if anyone else on the board has run into this.

Thanks,
Dave

I think having a GoPro has a negative effect on their ability to sell video's of your "experience". A shark "dive" is about as interesting to me as a dolphin "encounter", but whatever floats (or sinks) your boat.

Besides, I've always considered carrying any sort of camera the best protection against even seeing sharks :D

Just gopros or all video cameras?

I don't think you missed much. All shark feeding dives are pretty much the same old thing of sitting on the bottom, watching them open a bucket of fish, the sharks come in, they eat all the food, they leave.

Myself and 3 other divers walked off their boat a few years ago too, for other reasons. The place is very tourist trap type operation in my opinion.

I'd be pissed too with them ambushing you with the no gopro rule once you got there.

Thanks,
Dave

You should have demanded your money back..and then escalated this as required.

Maybe they're worried about some sort of mis step or something happening that might be controversial by them then the video winding up on youtube and going viral. If they shoot the video they could maybe not release it if something went wrong?
I don't know, just speculating. I've never been to any of those locations where they do those types of dives and probably never will. I just hear all sorts of controversial stuff about how the sharks are being trained to associate divers with food and some people are all up in arms.
Where I dive if we ever saw a shark it would be the real thing, a very large apex predator with very large teeth, and I don't think we would be handing stuff out for them to eat.

We were there in April (as part of the Scubaboard Invasion) and I did the dive w/ my GoPro, as well as a few others. No issues.

I was in Roatan last month and we used GoPro's on all dives including dolphin and shark dive... Operator had no restrictions on it... Yes, they may be trying to sell their video! My buddy bought the video but was not impressed with the quality at all, they did not have HD cameras.. Believe it or not. We were told that they were going to be getting HD cameras in the future though.

I too was in roatan last month diving.... We had two gopros.

hell the DM took the gopro and took pics of us!

I have done that dive. No problems with the others that used them. There my have been other issues. The guy who runs the dive seemed a bit cantankerous to me but no problems for me. I too would want my money back though.

Seems ridiculous but equally ridiculous is you walking over it. You'll be out your $125. Why not just do the dive anyway and not take your camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom