Homemade GoPro Dive Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weitznerrl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to diving (and GoPro cameras), and I built a dive mount for my GoPro Hero 3 (and a light) out of about $12 in PVC pipe. I haven't tried it yet, but hope to use it when I dive next weekend. Feedback welcome!

IMG_1299.jpgIMG_1301.jpg

Be careful!

As a new diver it may be easy for you to get task loaded or distracted with a camera and end up in trouble.

Agree with Dsix36 above. If you must dive it, add a clip, so that if you are feeling task loaded, you can clip it off and deal with your dive without the distraction.

Another thought; do you have any holes in the PVC? If it's all sealed off, it'll be very buoyant and hard to manage. Add some holes so water can fill the air spaces and it'll become more neutral.

Have fun!

I am going to add a clip to the mount so that I can attach it to my BC with a retractable clip. Also, that does make a lot of sense to put holes in it. I'll work on it this week before I dive next weekend.

Here is a pic of how I did mine. I find the lanyard works well but a retractor might be better. I forgot to put my hand thru it once and dropped my GoPro, that sucked but I got it back. One end cap is removable so I can dump the water pretty quick. The end cap also has a hole in it to equalize, not sure if that was necessary but it is there anyway. I used a GoPro bicycle handle bar mount to attach to the PVC. I was lucky and had some scrap PVC laying around so all I had to pay for was the mount.

Now all you have to do is figure out which editing program you want to use if you haven't yet. If not check this out.

GoPro Studio - free download for editing GoPro Video's

http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/gopro-studio/GoPro-Studio.html

I use Sony Vegas 11 myself. It is a serious editing program, there is a bit of a learning curve to it that I have not even begun get over yet but still pretty easy for a novice to use.

That looks pretty slick. I'll second what the previous posters said about being able to clip it off so as to not get yourself task loaded. Be sure to focus on enjoying the dive first and foremost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom