Video Edit Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatan Joe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a GoPro that created MP4 files. I need to find some software (CHEAP or FREE) to edit the video files. I have a Windows based computer running Vista. The Windows Movie Maker software won't deal with MP4's. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I just want to select and save parts of the file to make it smaller so that I can post it online easier.

I've tried downloading a codec file from download.com that was suppose to make Movie Maker be able to deal with an MP4, but that turned into me having to deal with getting rid of Malware that got installed instead.

What's available that I can download for FREE or CHEAP that's safe and will allow me to do what I want? A few years ago I was able to download Vegas Movie Editing software, but Vegas doesn't support Vista any longer.

Thanks!

It doesn't work on Vista according to their website.

You can buy previous versions of Vegas Movie Studio or Pinnacle Studio on Amazon for around $30. Some of them are obviously Vista compatible.

You could also convert the files to a format Movie Maker understands. I used to use a program called Super that does that. It was free but may try to install other software (not malware but I forget what it was) so read the install prompts carefully. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html The link to the actual program is the blue text at the very bottom of the screen.

There's other similar converters on download.com also. http://download.cnet.com/windows/video-converters/?licenseType=Free

Why expect well functioning video editing software for free? Video editing software is the type of program that I've probably spent the most money on over the years. I don't buy the expensive full versions since I find the less expensive ones (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum for example) do everything I need. I wouldn't expect free software for that purpose unless it came bundled with a capture card (like back in the old days)

Why expect well functioning video editing for free?

Why not? Kdenlive is a very stable, full of resources and free. It does the same as the paid software will. The catch is that it runs on Linux, which is also free.

It's worth giving both a try. Linux isn't as scary and complicated as 10 years ago. Most people can learn to use a new OS on their phones and tablets (i.e. Android and Apple-something) and Linux is not different and has the benefit of plenty of good quality free stuff :)

iMovie is free if you have a Mac also. But the OP doesn't...

Gopro Cineform.

There are versions that work ie back when the Gopro Hero 2 was out and they gave it out search for the gopro hero 2 software on the gopro website you can find it there just pick your windows and go it will be an older version but it works.

It's free....

It works for basic stuff and can convert the files that you can then edit. I like using the protune filter for lazy edits just apply and go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom