New GoPro, now what

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eabney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife just got me a GoPro Hero 4 silver for Xmas. :):) Now I have all kinds of questions maybe everyone can help me with

What are the best settings?

Best tray and light set up?

what accesories do i need?

what editing software?

I can't wait to get this thing underwater!!

As far as an underwater setup:

Light in motion makes very good lights(I use Sola), trays and light arms for the gopro.

I would buy the no kidding underwater housing and use it in place of the stock housing.

The back scatter flip 3.1 system is very nice for filter changes on the fly, and they now have a macro lens.

The most important addition in my opinion is to get the LCD touch backpack, with the proper backdoor. If you don't have this, you are basically guessing what you are capturing and possibly getting diss appointed when you get home.

As far as software, I have had good luck with windows movie maker and also with the gopro software available from the website.

Good luck

Buying ours Friday

What is a "no kidding underwater housing"?
I picked up the SRP kit for my Hero 4 Silver. Check out Joost's video's using SRP macro lenses. I haven't decided a tray yet but the SRP tray also looks good, however there are less expensive options.
Tom, the Hero 4 Silver comes with the LCD touchscreen.

As far as an underwater setup:

Light in motion makes very good lights(I use Sola), trays and light arms for the gopro.

I would buy the no kidding underwater housing and use it in place of the stock housing.

The back scatter flip 3.1 system is very nice for filter changes on the fly, and they now have a macro lens.

The most important addition in my opinion is to get the LCD touch backpack, with the proper backdoor. If you don't have this, you are basically guessing what you are capturing and possibly getting diss appointed when you get home.

As far as software, I have had good luck with windows movie maker and also with the gopro software available from the website.

Good luck

I was unaware that the 4 came with the touchscreen.

What is a no kidding underwater housing? The type of housing that came on all the gopro's up until the 3+'s. The stock housing they have been putting in the box is not the 200' housing of the past.

https://shop.gopro.com/s/GoPro/AHDEH-301.html

You dont need a LCD screen, The hero4 Silver has one.
I tossed the underwater housing that cam with the Hero4 silver and bought a dive housing ( much stronger and a MUCH better latch keeping it closed.
I have a Solo 800 and a itorch 6+ ($499) (2800lumen).....Love the itorch and will be selling the SOLO.
I love using my Aquapod pole also.
Flip 3.1 is great on the dive housing

Christmas came early. I use Vegas pro for software and really like it

You dont need a LCD screen, The hero4 Silver has one.
I tossed the underwater housing that cam with the Hero4 silver and bought a dive housing ( much stronger and a MUCH better latch keeping it closed.
I have a Solo 800 and a itorch 6+ ($499) (2800lumen).....Love the itorch and will be selling the SOLO.
I love using my Aquapod pole also.
Flip 3.1 is great on the dive housing

Do you use the itorch with the mono pole ( aquapod) ?

My wife just got me a GoPro Hero 4 silver for Xmas. :):) Now I have all kinds of questions maybe everyone can help me with

Nice Xmas gift! I just bought a 3+ Black (instead of a 4) and experimented with it. A pole or strap is what to buy. I used a wrist-mounted strap but that turned out to be a bit shaky, so I'll try the head-strap next. An extra battery is also recommended. Personally I don't want to be distracted by the LCD screen to focus on my dives, but I'm not a photographer....
Wrote a blog about buying and using the Gopro for diving, maybe useful: Buying a GoPro HERO for Diving

Merry Christmas!

I strongly recommend you get some type of security leash for your head strap. This one made by Z Gear works great for the head strap as well as for a dive mask. If you want to check out other mounting options visit www.zgearinc.com
Merry Christmas![/QUOTE
s780561385371224093_p2_i5_w160.jpeg
s780561385371224093_p2_i4_w160.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom