Dive Housing for Hero 4 Silver so you can see screen???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaixon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this issue. the standard dive housing has padding right across the center of the back cover so it covers the screen on the hero 4 silver. Do they make a back plate for the dive housing that does not cover the screen? The one the hero4 comes with does not fit and the one it comes with is only rated to 120ft or whatever so I don't feel comfortable taking that one deep.
Anyone find a solution? I really like having the screen that's why I went with this one over the black version but now I feel like that may have been a mistake.

I don't think anyone is bothering to make dive housings for GoPro any more, since the stock one (flat lens port) that comes with the current crop of Hero cameras works great. At least to its rated depth.

You might have a problem finding anything for GoPro if you want to confidently take one to 120 FSW or deeper. If you want to routinely make videos on deep dives, you may need to go with a camera that fits into a housing by Nauticam, Light & Motion, or one of the other more bulletproof housing brands that are rated 100m.

gopro makes their own dive housing (it's basically the one that use to come with the hero 3 camera's) but now they call it "Go Pro Dive Housing" and it retail's for about $60 and its rated to 197' but I've had it as deep as 250' without any issues and it has the extra locking latch. Its just annoying I cant use the screen on the back of the camera with this case. The back is interchangeable so that's why I was wondering if there was a part for it.

---------- Post added December 23rd, 2014 at 01:09 PM ----------

just found solution.... it looks like gopro released a new model of the dive housing to accommodate the screen. if anyone else has this issue, here's the link http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/dive-housing-–-197-60m/AHDEH-301.html#/start=1

Hi I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this issue. the standard dive housing has padding right across the center of the back cover so it covers the screen on the hero 4 silver. Do they make a back plate for the dive housing that does not cover the screen? The one the hero4 comes with does not fit and the one it comes with is only rated to 120ft or whatever so I don't feel comfortable taking that one deep.
Anyone find a solution? I really like having the screen that's why I went with this one over the black version but now I feel like that may have been a mistake.

Just remove the black foam in the center of the door, cut in two pieces, and reinstall on both side of the door, that´s it. PICT0010.jpg

Ah, right. I meant third-party alternatives that might have a clear back, and go deeper. The only clear housing back I recall is the extended one that comes with the LCD BackPac, which would be moot with a 4 Silver. But if you can get ahold of one, you might be able to add some foam spacers to get the clear back and still hold the camera in place. Not ideal, though.

Hello, looks like the new Hero4 dive housing are not as good as the one for Hero3 when i read your comments. Since I already have a hero3 (white edition), can I reuse my dive housing with a hero4 Black edition ? I also have a video backPack and the associated doors, will it work with a Hero4 ? Does anyone already test that ?

Hello, looks like the new Hero4 dive housing are not as good as the one for Hero3 when i read your comments. Since I already have a hero3 (white edition), can I reuse my dive housing with a hero4 Black edition ? I also have a video backPack and the associated doors, will it work with a Hero4 ? Does anyone already test that ?

Yes you can use the hero 3 housing with the Hero 4. That's basically the same as the "dive housing" for the hero 4. I believe the video back should work for both the hero 3 and 4, they have the same connection, as long as you have the door for the video back on your hero 3 housing just swap out the camera and put the hero 4 black in it, they are the same size and all.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2014 at 09:44 AM ----------

Just remove the black foam in the center of the door, cut in two pieces, and reinstall on both side of the door, that´s it.View attachment 199748

How'd you get that off lol I just ripped the foam doing it.... but good solution!!

Here is what I did with mine, but it hasn't been in the water yet. I bought the hero 4 silver with the integrated screen. I also have the standard hero 3+ dive housing which does not have the clear back door (foam in the middle). I attempted to remove the foam in the middle, but messed up the back door something fierce. So my dive housing back door is shot. I called up Gopro and they said they would send me a new one. On a separate note, the "new" dive housings, being sold under the same part number, do not have the foam in the middle as per the Gopro customer service guy. So if you ever buy a new dive housing, make sure that it is not old stock.

Anyway, I took out the foam and used some adhesive remover to get the adhesive off. I have two kinds of remover, a gentle kind and a nasty kind. I didn't think and used the nasty stuff, which destroyed the back door. So now I'm 4 days from my trip and have no dive housing. So I went into my gopro kit and worked on a solution.

I used the bacpac back door for when one is using the add on LCD screen for the hero 3+ or hero 4 black. I cut out a piece of foam for the back that had a rectangular cut out so that I could see the hero 4 silver's screen. There is a bit of open air back there, but the camera stays right in place. I'll throw in an extra dehumidifier tab or two and hopefully it will stay nice and non-fogged. I'll let you know how that works, but I will likely just buy the new style dive housing.

So are the fears about using the Hero 4 Silver's stock housing deeper justified? Any actual reports of depth related failures?

The stock housing has been working great for me at shallower depths, so I'm wondering whether all this trouble with alternate solutions is really warranted.

Back
Top Bottom