New Gopro hero 4 black(little advice)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been sorting thru all the info and have settled on 1080p and 60fps for underwater.

Is this correct? I notice that this unit can go to 4k and 24fps.

Will really just be posting on sb and a little you tube every now and then

Have the backscatter macromate mini and flip system also. No lights but we are hard pressed to ever go deeper than 30 feet(shallow reef divers 99 pct of the time)

Thnx in advance

Yeah, 1080p 60fps is one of the best modes on th camera. I usually use 50fps because 2x slowed down, it gives 25fps = very nice slow motion. I guess with 60 fps, you could slow it down 2.5 times.

thnx.

My preferred setup is 1080/60/Narrow with LCD BacPac and SRP filter on an extension pole. I don't use a light because I prefer to keep my setup simple. If interested you can follow the link in my signature to find a video I took in St. Lucia (St Lucia - Seahorse - the Return Visit) where we went to 70ft with no light and still got great colors. I think I may try ProTune on the next dive but my computer can't handle 4K. For me 24fps is a bit choppy so my playback speed is 30fps.

Nice video! You managed to keep it nice and steady. I am still trying to decide between a tray or pole set up and you proved that it is possible to shoot steady with a pole.
Did you use a macro lens?

My preferred setup is 1080/60/Narrow with LCD BacPac and SRP filter on an extension pole. I don't use a light because I prefer to keep my setup simple. If interested you can follow the link in my signature to find a video I took in St. Lucia (St Lucia - Seahorse - the Return Visit) where we went to 70ft with no light and still got great colors. I think I may try ProTune on the next dive but my computer can't handle 4K. For me 24fps is a bit choppy so my playback speed is 30fps.

I found that with a pole your movement can be exaggerated when moving from subject to subject. It was almsot made me dizzy to watch the video I shot with my Hero. I made a DIY tray out of PVC that I really like. Easy to handle and aim with but it won't let you reach out and video something up close. We are going to Cozumel in April and I am thinking about taking a GoPole with us for our dives there.

Thank you Reidkon. I don't use a Macro lense because it is only clear on super closeups. I Really take more of a lazy approach to my SCUBA vids because I feel I get much better footage if I'm having fun as opposed to getting too serious with lights, multiple lenses, and two handed rigs. Kinda preserves my ability to be free to go after whatever I feel like. I always wanted to play with macro but never had the patience for it - LOL. I explain my setup and techniques in the video "GoPro SCUBA Tips And quick Color Correction" if you want to know more about how I get steady shots with the pole. It's not too difficult. I usually just swim around like normal until I see something I want to get footage of. No matter what you decide to use - I'm sure you'll make it work for you!

I found that with a pole your movement can be exaggerated when moving from subject to subject. It was almsot made me dizzy to watch the video I shot with my Hero. I made a DIY tray out of PVC that I really like. Easy to handle and aim with but it won't let you reach out and video something up close. We are going to Cozumel in April and I am thinking about taking a GoPole with us for our dives there.

Filming with the pole extended to a degree can be challenging to get a steady shot. Using two hands and not extending the pole to much helps a lot in this area.

After much practice I get pretty stable video with the pole and feel the mild amount of "wobble" is a small trade off for the crazy close-ups I can get! In my Bahama's Shark Dive video I could see the eyeballs of shark and had two bump my camera, and in my Antigua video I can see the texture in the Sea Turtles neck and a barracuda's tail sweeping past the lense of the GoPro. For me these types of shots are exciting so the minimal wobble is acceptable. You just have to plan your shots by holding the pole with two hands, pause your kicks, glide up to your subject and carefully control your buoyancy. But it is true that any movement is exaggerated by the pole and before you get used to using a pole it can be tougher than using a traditional two handed rig. I just don't think that I will be able to get those crazy close-ups without the pole.

Back
Top Bottom