Dive housing for the hero 4 with Dome port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
It does look like a robust well made housing, but the only difference I noticed is the wider angle (and the bigger buttons for the folks that enjoy cold water and need oversized gloves).

Wouldn't shooting from 5 feet back fill the frame just the same and cost less than $1000?

Indeed, the DeepPro seems very solid, just as any alu photo housings. However, I'd stay with plastic to avoid corrosion issues - even the stock housing with a dome mod.
As for budget: being a noob in GoPro/UW video, I am reluctant to spend more than 200$.

It does look like a robust well made housing, but the only difference I noticed is the wider angle (and the bigger buttons for the folks that enjoy cold water and need oversized gloves).

Wouldn't shooting from 5 feet back fill the frame just the same and cost less than $1000?

5 ft back is not such a good idea under water if the vis is 15 ft :D

Last edited:
A dome port on any underwater housing for any camera is primarially used to recover the Field Of View that is lost when shooting behind a flat port. A camera behind a flat port experiences a reduced FOV just like you do with a diving mask on. The concentric dome port eliminates this effect. But.. the down side is that a curved port with water on one side, and air on the other produces a convex lens effect. Its called a virtual image. Any camera behind a dome port must be able to focus on this VI to obtain a sharp image. A small dome put on front of a GoPro about the size of 4" or 5" or so produces a virtual image just a few inches out. The GoPro is a fixed focus camera and in low light does not focus close enough to focus on the domes VI. Put a 4-5" dome on a GoPro and underwater object in the closer ranges will be out of focus. Distant objects say 5- 10feet or so may be sharp. It depends on the dome radius. I've done actual tests a small dome on the Hero4 and the image is soft. The larger the radius, like an 8".. the further out the VI and the more chance the GoPro will be able to focus on it.

The deeppro domed housing solves this dome VI problem by putting a close up diopter in front of the GoPro camera. There is a diopter built into the housing just infront of the camera. Basically it puts reading glasses on the camera in order to trick the gorpro to be able focus on the domes VI. The result is a sharp image from close in to infinity. Underwater. Out of water, objects within a few feet are in focus. Distant objects are soft. Like all things in life.. you get what you pay for. This housing shoots like a much more expensive $5000 camera and housing but at less than half the total budget (e.g. lens, camera, housing, dome costs).

Just remember that a dome with no close up diopter will take great in air shots, but the Underwater subjects closer in may be out of focus. It just depends on if the scene is bright enough ambient light for the camera to have a deep DOF and is able to focus on the underwater VI and the radius of the dome.

Now.. if GoPro ever reduces the minimum focus distance of the camera's lens to just a few inches.. then the diopter will no longer be necessary when housed behind a dome port. Many of the people buying the deeppro housing have been tech divers, shedding a larger sized video housing and opting for the smaller package, the 450 ft depth rating and large controls that allow operation with gloves on. By having controls that can actually work with gloves on they are shooting ad-hoc video. Not simply letting the GoPro run the entire dive. The result, there isless video to edit later. And the camera's internal battery runs longer when not recording all the time.

Reactions: wve
Thanks for shedding light on the VI issue Mike, always wanted to know, how the prosumer dive housings (Deeppro, Subspace) do the trick. For P&S/mirrorless/DSLR it's easy, just adjust the focus... I am looking more into wet lenses then, like the inon UFL-G140. For macro I have an UCL165 already for my Olympus cam, maybe that can also be useful.
A dome port on any underwater housing for any camera is primarially used to recover the Field Of View that is lost when shooting behind a flat port. A camera behind a flat port experiences a reduced FOV just like you do with a diving mask on. The concentric dome port eliminates this effect. But.. the down side is that a curved port with water on one side, and air on the other produces a convex lens effect. Its called a virtual image. Any camera behind a dome port must be able to focus on this VI to obtain a sharp image. A small dome put on front of a GoPro about the size of 4" or 5" or so produces a virtual image just a few inches out. The GoPro is a fixed focus camera and in low light does not focus close enough to focus on the domes VI. Put a 4-5" dome on a GoPro and underwater object in the closer ranges will be out of focus. Distant objects say 5- 10feet or so may be sharp. It depends on the dome radius. I've done actual tests a small dome on the Hero4 and the image is soft. The larger the radius, like an 8".. the further out the VI and the more chance the GoPro will be able to focus on it.

The deeppro domed housing solves this dome VI problem by putting a close up diopter in front of the GoPro camera. There is a diopter built into the housing just infront of the camera. Basically it puts reading glasses on the camera in order to trick the gorpro to be able focus on the domes VI. The result is a sharp image from close in to infinity. Underwater. Out of water, objects within a few feet are in focus. Distant objects are soft. Like all things in life.. you get what you pay for. This housing shoots like a much more expensive $5000 camera and housing but at less than half the total budget (e.g. lens, camera, housing, dome costs).

Just remember that a dome with no close up diopter will take great in air shots, but the Underwater subjects closer in may be out of focus. It just depends on if the scene is bright enough ambient light for the camera to have a deep DOF and is able to focus on the underwater VI and the radius of the dome.

Now.. if GoPro ever reduces the minimum focus distance of the camera's lens to just a few inches.. then the diopter will no longer be necessary when housed behind a dome port. Many of the people buying the deeppro housing have been tech divers, shedding a larger sized video housing and opting for the smaller package, the 450 ft depth rating and large controls that allow operation with gloves on. By having controls that can actually work with gloves on they are shooting ad-hoc video. Not simply letting the GoPro run the entire dive. The result, there isless video to edit later. And the camera's internal battery runs longer when not recording all the time.

... it would be great to keep the budget+size low because I might add a second gopro for 3D.

I was just considering contacting the SPL folks to see if they had a 3D housing in the works.

With the current SPL setup I'd be careful. They don't seem to include a diopter in their dome, as pro's do it, thus the minimum focusing distance goes far away. Not surprising that they don't try to
advertise the product with close-up scuba videos...
I was just considering contacting the SPL folks to see if they had a 3D housing in the works.

Well, I'm not interested in the dome, just a tougher 3D housing, preferably with a little room for a bigger battery and maybe a display.

This can be arranged using e.g. the 10bar housing or any housings, that don't have anything bulky on the lens-side.
I doubt that we'll see an otherwise perfect 3D aluminium case for the gopro (which is btw not a bad idea on land either,
given the heat produced by 2(!!) h4-s...)

Getting closer to the ideal: the golem/iqsub piece seems interesting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom