Gopro + red filter + lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys! Im going to the Socorro Islands (I know, hype! :D) In february next year, I have a gopro with a red filter which i always use, however ive been looking into lights for some time now and
im curious if they would make any difference seeing as the gopro shoots pretty poor video without a lot of light. I reckon a lot of dives will be pretty deep (35-40m) and I really would like some good video.
I've read that removing the red filter when its dark/er and then correcting the colors in lets say sony vegas post dive is a good way to make it a little brighter, also read that filming with 30 fps instead of 60 requires less light
but video tends to be more "shaky"
It will most likely not be too many closeups as its all about the big encounters at socorro and not the macro stuff btw.

I have also heard that lights wont do too well when combined with a red filter as your video would get pretty red with lights on.
Do you guys have any suggestions on if I should buy a light (or 2) or just stick with my red filter and maybe change the fps/remove red filter in darker conditions. If Lights is the way to go, could you guys link some good and cheap lights that will work an amatuer like myself.

Best Regards Pajjpen!

Hello, I use red Filter + Lights in some movies, but most of the time I dive in 20m area. So I don't know how it will perform deeper.
Even if many divers doesn't like using red filters AND a light, if you have an average light like mine, it can be interesting.
My light alone is not good enough to light all the scene for such a wide angle like GoPro. So I use The Light + a SRP filter and I found it renders good.
When filming in caves or shadowed places, it looks like it's better to remove the filter.
Here is a video I've already posted here where I use Light + Red Filetr. Some of the scene are burnt, but many others are pretty good for me, especially considering My GoPro is a Hero3 White !

Good dive :wink:

[video=youtube;txxutLXAzdU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txxutLXAzdU[/video]

That looks pretty good, especially considering its not even HD!
Going to buy a Archon d32vr light (just one) and place it over my gopro i think, along with the SRP tray. Will most likely remove the filter after about 25-30 meters.

Edit: Is there any other lights other than the archon i should consider btw? any suggestions on other brands that are in the same price range as the archon one for about 150 -170 dollar?

Last edited:
There is no red at 40m. Red extincts at a rate of 1 F-stop at every 2.5m, wich means there is practically no red/orange/yellow below 30m, you need LIGHTS.

Once you have lights providing a balanced white, you don't need filters, otherwise everything will be red. A light orange filter (like snorkeling stuff) may be fine
if your lights (LEDs typically) are coldish.

Yeah, so using my red filter down to about 25-30 meter as stated above, and then just going with my light should be the best option. Any suggestions on what lights I should get, 1 light vs 2 etc? Ive been thinking about the archon d32vr which seems pretty good in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XrHkDFeX8I altho i am always up for suggestions!

2x d32vr-s should do the job. I have one, on night dives its perfect, when daylight blue also comes in or if you want to cover larger
distances it is a bit weak -> getting 2 or 4 would be the solution.

I am actually going in with old-school heavyweight 2x100W halogen (the setup is not finished, I am waiting for a fresh battery pack).

Alright, getting either one or 2 of those lights. How would a later archon light with more lumen compare to having 2 d32vr's btw? And also, looking at elzanclus video having a filter on with lights doesn't seem to make it red at all. Think I'll keep the filter on no matter the lighting, atleast down to 25m ish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom