Mind-blowing Underwater Colors in Komodo, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toozler

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a video from a few dives in Komodo last year. Underwater scenes start at 0:40 but the intro scenes from the area are also beautiful

Sometimes simpler is better: the color correction was done by a $10 filter from EelVision using the camera's auto white balance (Protune off), meaning I didn't have to do neither color adjustment in post processing nor had to bother switching filters underwater or wiping bubbles during the dive... Food for thought if you are considering dropping $100+ on filters only :winky:

Shot using a small grip - not as stable as a tray, specially with the currents in Komodo.

[video=youtube;0BWFnZJRuMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BWFnZJRuMY[/video]

If you haven't visited, I recommend for the healthy reefs and sea life - a bit of a hassle to get there if not by directly flight from Denpassar, Bali. We took a 5 day route overland through Sunbawa leaving from Lombok and that was an adventure.

Top notch, really! I haven't seen an Eelvision BG yet, on the pics it seems more deep orange than red, is that right? I have several Lee and Rosco gels (penny stuff at ebay), I want to pick the right one for diving.

Shot in 30fps, didn't do any slow motion on editing.

The filter looks orangeish on the pictures but looking at the real thing, it's not even a bit orange - it's a "pinkish" red

Depths were around 50-60 feet for most of the dive. The scene with the 2 yellow fish (at 02:40) and the last scene with the shark were shallower, at the end of the dive - maybe 20-25 feet.

Looking good, however, there is no need to spend a lot of money on different filters if you are only diving in shallow water. All you need is a red filter (no matter the brand) Especially when the vis is this good and sun always shining :)

If u use gels, you spend maybe 5-10$/color, I wouldn't call it a big spending:). 5m and 25m even in Silfra or Antarctica are very different animals. If your filter is "deep" (=red), then in the shallows it will be too red and u will loose quality in PP color correction
because you have to boost the green and blue channels. I'd suggest two filters, one <10m and another 10-25m (speaking of crystal clear, blue tropical water).

Looking good, however, there is no need to spend a lot of money on different filters if you are only diving in shallow water. All you need is a red filter (no matter the brand) Especially when the vis is this good and sun always shining :)

If u use gels, you spend maybe 5-10$/color, I wouldn't call it a big spending:). 5m and 25m even in Silfra or Antarctica are very different animals. If your filter is "deep" (=red), then in the shallows it will be too red and u will loose quality in PP color correctionbecause you have to boost the green and blue channels. I'd suggest two filters, one <10m and another 10-25m (speaking of crystal clear, blue tropical water).

$5 gets you the whole Lee filter sampler swatch book. Swatches are big enough to make a drop in filter for the GoPro.

Attachments

• lee swatch book.jpg
    lee swatch book.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Used the same from 20 to 60 ft, couldn't really switch anyway. Things get red from 15 ft and shallower and start getting bluer from 80 feet onwards (from previous dives). Around 80 feet there isn't any filter that will help, pumping extra dark red into the footage will just make it dark, not colorful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom