Catalina Island Dive Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmrobbins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is my first attempt at shooting and editing underwater video. Dive was off of Catalina Island, CA. Shot with GoPro Hero3 using dive housing and PolarPro Switchblade 2.0 w/ red filter and macro diopter. Natural light only. Would love tips and feedback.

https://youtu.be/LuS14hz0FuE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LuS14hz0FuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
This is my first attempt at shooting and editing underwater video. Dive was off of Catalina Island, CA. Shot with GoPro Hero3 using dive housing and PolarPro Switchblade 2.0 w/ red filter and macro diopter. Natural light only. Would love tips and feedback.

https://youtu.be/LuS14hz0FuE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LuS14hz0FuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Work on keeping camera still...you can see its a bit jerky and blurry. Some of that is the diver...calm...smooth.... slow... .helps...if you're following a fast-moving group (like you were) its tough to get smooth, clear footage. GoPro's advantage of smallness makes it susceptible to slight movements causing big angular change and twitchy footage. Sometimes resting it on bottom for interesting creature will get better results (not on coral of course) Do you have it set on super-view ? That super wide angle setting causes blurring on edges, as does too much movement of camera. Colors look good.

Way, way, better than my first efforts. Keep diving and videoing and be your own worst critic in filming and diving skills..compare to others. If possible view video between dives or each day at end of diving to get fresh feedback on your results, good or bad. Lots of good tips here on SB too. Maybe a two handled mount would help ? Eventually you will want lights.

I would also send the link to the divers in the video. It will help explain to them why their air consumption is so bad. :)
Lots of vertical swimming and bicycle kicking going on.

If you like using your camera pole try making a light handle for it.Place the handle close and under camera area. This way when you want to stabilize your shot you can either use one hand and have the other end anchored to your shoulder pocket, or use both hands to film with.

Nice vis, I hope to go there soon.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Interesting idea - but I'm still trying to figure out the configuration based on your email...you have URL to example by chance?

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 05:39 PM ----------

If you like using your camera pole try making a light handle for it.Place the handle close and under camera area. This way when you want to stabilize your shot you can either use one hand and have the other end anchored to your shoulder pocket, or use both hands to film with.

Nice vis, I hope to go there soon.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Interesting idea - but I'm still trying to figure out the configuration based on your email...you have URL to example by chance?

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 05:44 PM ----------

Work on keeping camera still...you can see its a bit jerky and blurry. Some of that is the diver...calm...smooth.... slow... .helps...if you're following a fast-moving group (like you were) its tough to get smooth, clear footage. GoPro's advantage of smallness makes it susceptible to slight movements causing big angular change and twitchy footage. Sometimes resting it on bottom for interesting creature will get better results (not on coral of course) Do you have it set on super-view ? That super wide angle setting causes blurring on edges, as does too much movement of camera. Colors look good.

Way, way, better than my first efforts. Keep diving and videoing and be your own worst critic in filming and diving skills..compare to others. If possible view video between dives or each day at end of diving to get fresh feedback on your results, good or bad. Lots of good tips here on SB too. Maybe a two handled mount would help ? Eventually you will want lights.

Thank you very much for the tips! Am looking at eventually buying a two handle mount. (I need to buy my own camera first...this was a borrow so I could see what I could do w/ it!) Yeah - shaky shakes...practice makes perfect. Didn't realize the super-view caused blurring on edges...it was on. That may also be a result of the diopter macro lens I was using in some shots...(last shot w/ girabaldi)

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 05:39 PM ----------

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 05:44 PM ----------

Thank you very much for the tips! Am looking at eventually buying a two handle mount. (I need to buy my own camera first...this was a borrow so I could see what I could do w/ it!) Yeah - shaky shakes...practice makes perfect. Didn't realize the super-view caused blurring on edges...it was on. That may also be a result of the diopter macro lens I was using in some shots...(last shot w/ girabaldi)

Here is an example of someone using a handle type mount on their mono pole. Note the pic that shows the pole anchored in the shoulder pocket. You can also use two hands as well if you like when you are trying to achieve real steady filming. I did not want to focus on the light mount portion of the device, just on the fact that it is another way to help use your mono pole in achieving greater stability and also it is less taxing on the wrist for your whole dive.
IMG_1175a.JPG

Z Gear makes an adjustable light mount that fits any camera pole and lights up to 1 3/4. We also have the professional mono pole light mount that is for larger lights like the sola, I torch, big blue. This video clip also has in it some tips on how you can use either mount to help you with steadier filming as well as using a video light that is off set with your mono pole.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzR0eAx0Y0[/VIDEO

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom