Choice of Tray - Stainless or Delrin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwinter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Opinions? There seem to be many options for trays in both Delrin or stainless.

Aluminum.

Just make sure that it's not 6531 or else it may have be condemned after a limited no of videos shot :wink:

I would go with delrin. It's plenty trough/ strong and a good bit lighter than SS, aluminum is also a good choice. Unless you just need the extra negative buoyancy I see no need to add weight to your luggage. I use aluminum for my trays but then I build them and aluminum is less expensive than large pieces of delrin....go figure, plastic more expensive than metal.

Good point about the travel weight. I was thinking about the stainless to offset the buoyancy of the locline arms and octopus. But adding some lead might be a smarter way to go. As for aluminum, I have always had trouble with salt water corrosion after a while, and the tripod screw and other hardware being stainless would lead to dissimilar metal problems. How do you avoid these problems with aluminum?

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I use plastic screws and nuts with Aluminum. These are avail from plastic manuf online. I use them on my marine reef tank and they're incredible strong and light.( If you need a URL, let me know).

I have not had any issues with SS and aluminum, I just rinse/soak the equipment good after each dive. As for buoyancy of the LL arms, I don't find them a problem with my camera and strobe but if you do, just drill a couple of holes in each end and let them fill with water. For screws that remain in place between dives/trips I coat the threads in silicone grease, seem to pretty much stop the corrosion problem.

Back
Top Bottom