GoPro filters - Name brand vs. Off Brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gokey80

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am about to take my first tropical dive with my new Hero 3+. I know I need a red filter but am having a hard time figuring out what to buy. With the GoPro brand being $69 each I am looking around. Amazon has many at tons of prices but I don't want to waste my money. Can anyone give some advice or list some brands which are confirmed worth buying. I would like to have multiple filters.

We really like the Backscatter (FLIP 3.1) ones:

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: compact video :: parts & accessories :: filters

I feel like their shallow and dive ones work really well. Its also nice being able to switch back and forth and put a macro or a plus 10 on there later with or without a filter. We have been really happy. there are some videos out there that show the difference and it really is worth buying a filter!

+1 on the Backscatter Flip filters. Like 'em a lot.

Can I ask why? I have it and found it worked great for me in Lauderdale.

It does not "color correct", only adds a layer of red.. Here is a screenshot from an Youtube video to illustrate that - see how the dark areas just turn "brown/maroon"?

polarpro2.jpg

Here is a screen capture using an older model SRP "Dome" filter on a HERO2.

vlcsnap-2014-12-16-08h49m54s26.jpg

This is a picture using an EelVision "BG" filter on a HERO3 (still photo, not from video).

10373776_10203697242773754_657633976111819588_n.jpg

Notice the difference on the dark areas and the abundance of color on these compared to the first image? I have yet to see any results from a PolarPro filter close to this.

Can I ask why? I have it and found it worked great for me in Lauderdale.

polar pro you have to edit the footage and take some of the red out of it. They work great if you have software that can edit the footage. The trick is to turn off auto white balance and turn the red way down then the footage comes out wow that looks nice

This was polarpro filter.
[video]https://youtu.be/FJEEVNNxnDI[/video]

I'm glad you mentioned this brand as I was looking at them. I talked to somebody else today that also said they fall off easily in currents.

I've had excellent results from the GoPro filters, and the Backscatter filters.
The polarPro filters were a bit on the fragile side.
As far as color goes, you probably all know the theory, but : a filter is cutting out certain parts of the light. A red filter cuts the blues and a magenta filter cuts the greens.

With good lights, you can get really nice colorful footage while using the filter. Macro: take your filter off as you are so close to the subject that there isn't much blue or green.
If you have the Backscatter filter system, have fun and experiment with the different depth filters. They did a lot of testing to arrive at the decisions on intensity of filter color.
Try stuff and let me know how you go. Post on the facebook group questions and videos.

Back
Top Bottom