Filter question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curiiox

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey ScubaBoard members,

Here comes my first post ever;
So this July I'm visiting the Seychelles and as I heard that the visibility may be quite dissapointing I was thinking if I'd want to make some nice videos I'd probably need a filter.
Has anyone here visited the Seychelles in July and could recommend any? I know the red filter is the standard but as there's a lot of plankton I've also heard that the water may be rather greenish. If that's the case a magenta filter would be better. So any tips on what filter to use?:confused:

Kind regards,

Mike

"visibility may be quite dissapointing I was thinking if I'd want to make some nice videos I'd probably need a filter"

If the visibility is disappointing, then there is some stuff in the water. No filter can remove that. Filters only remove parts of light - they do not magically restore non-existing things.

Filters are good when there is plenty of light, but it is of the wrong kind (too much blue, too yellow, too uv-rich, too much infrared, ...)
A blue scene may become less blue but also darker. You choose.

If there is a lot of light, then you may be able to adjust the picture using filters. Someone else must give you advice. I cannot.

The filter will work wonders on clear water. Not so good on poor visibility conditions. Anything other than really blue "Caribbean " water I would use a filter for green water. I dove in Panama City last spring in fairly blue water for the gulf. I flipped between blue water filter and green water filter. Green won hands down. I was told in late fall when it gets really blue then the blue water filter will be the right choice. These are backscatter filters.

Back
Top Bottom