INON - GoPro Housing and Accessories but NO Red Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-flea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I was diving with my GoPro in Okinawa a few weeks ago and my GoPro SwitchBlade2 essentially became useless. (Great concept, horrid bits of plastic) The 'catch' that held the Red Filter on the housing wouldn't hold any more. and it fell off during surge. I found it and did some McGuyver stuff which managed to hold it for a couple more days and then it detached and subsequently met with a cracking end.

The Macro fold over lens would also no longer stay in place because the little 'catch' for it broke off. So as I floated up close with something I'd have the handle for my rig in my right hand and my left hand keeping the lens in place. In all I got about 12 dives out of the SwitchBlade2 and wasn't impressed. I am about the most anal person on the planet with my equipment so it wasn't misuse by any means.

While in Okinawa I went to a dive shop and purchased a couple of GoPro products. I needed something to continue on my dives when I went to Lembeh the next week.

INON GoPro Accessories [Overview]

I purchased the INON housing at the link and the [FONT=&amp]UCL-G165 SD Underwater Wide Close-up Lens. I probably would of got the fisheye but they were sold out.

[/FONT]
The language barrier didn't help me much as my Japanese barely gets me katsu-don and a bathroom pass, but I made the assumption that INON, being a big dive photography company, would have a Red Filter for these. Couldn't find one in the store and didn't have time to search further as my plane was leaving for Lembeh the next day. I did a week of dives in Lembeh without a red filter and as you can guess, only my shallow pictures/videos were much of any good.

I have scoured the net and cannot find an attachable filter for the UCL-G165. At this point, the only thing I can think to do is use something like below. A tiny red film that goes inside the GoPro housing, between the GoPro lens and the housing. (seems a tad low tech and cheesy)

Amazon.com : GoPro HERO4 HERO3/3+ Dive Filters (2 pack: BG+SW) Red / Snorkeling / Diving / Snorkel / Underwater Color Correction : Underwater Camera Housings : Camera & Photo

The INON doesn't have a threaded lens for a filter on the outside and I have not seen any 'cap style' ones that I am 100% sure will fit it.

Anyone else using this housing/lens combo and found a solution?

Thanks

Any space between the GoPro glass and the Inon lens where you could drop in an unframed filter and just sandwich it in?

I originally got that filter so I could use a +10 diopter rigged in front of the flat port to take macro shots.

It has since replaced my $80 SRP red filter because it's simpler to use and get better results. Here is a still with the setup (no lights, +10 macro diopter attached).

1006369_10202667068580043_1599034187_n.jpg

I have both the closeup and fisheye lenses.
for this set up with Gopro for its "light hungry" nature, is best to compensate with video lights instead of filter.

I'm attaching 2 2500 lumens lights for my set up without any filter.

Scuba-flea,
Care to show us the video and let us guess where you are at? I have hundreds of diver on "The Rock," I know that there is no assistance pertaining to you problem...but.

I recently returned from a trip o Galapsgos islands shooting with GoPro 4 black and inon Semi fisheye conversion lens. I bought some red magic filters and cut them out the same size as the inon lens and carefully taped I place. It worked but wasn't impressed. As Louis xn said the GoPro is light hungry and adding red filters looses light entering sensor and adds grain to footage. I soon got rid of the red filter and just went wit it and white balances in post on premiere pro cc. In the future I would def purchase x2 video lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom