New mount for GoPro captures everything underwater!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Fellow divers,
We developed a new camera stick, the Spivo. It allows you to rotate the camera 180 degrees with the click of a trigger. You can take underwater as far as the GoPro can go! Check it out here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/734583776/spivo-trigger-your-adventure

What do you guys think?

Pretty cool idea in general. Can you confirm that you'll be using marine-grade stainless steel for ALL key metal parts/mechanisms? If not, I'd would not use one for diving.

If you want to go after divers, you'll also need to consider the fact that diving with a GoPro requires lights for the most part. Not sure how you product would work with a tray, arms, and lights.

PS - free marketing/IP advice: Trademark "Spivo" and then stop calling it "a Spivo" or "the Spivo" or "my Spivo." Only refer to it as "a SpivoTM brand camera pole" or similar. Failure to do so risks relegating "Spivo" to generic descriptor status and greatly reduces your ability to protect it as your own intellectual property.

Last edited:
Aluminium should do it for the shaft but the inner workings of the swivel, springs, gears, cables, etc will need to be made of stainless steel or something like nylon for it to be fit for purpose for diving.

Cool idea though. I can see divers wanting one of these.

R..

You can take underwater as far as the GoPro can go!

I've regularly taken a Hero 3 past 330' in the normal housing, not the dive housing, without any problems. Will your mount handle that?

Pretty cool idea in general. Can you confirm that you'll be using marine-grade stainless steel for ALL key metal parts/mechanisms? If not, I'd would not use one for diving.

If you want to go after divers, you'll also need to consider the fact that diving with a GoPro requires lights for the most part. Not sure how you product would work with a tray, arms, and lights.

PS - free marketing/IP advice: Trademark "Spivo" and then stop calling it "a Spivo" or "the Spivo" or "my Spivo." Only refer to it as "a SpivoTM brand camera pole" or similar. Failure to do so risks relegating "Spivo" to generic descriptor status and greatly reduces your ability to protect it as your own intellectual property.

Great comments! Thank you. The metal components will be made of high grade stainless steel and the plastic internal parts were chosen to have low water absorption properties. Regarding the light issue, it shouldn't be a problem to mount a tray, it might make the click a bit harder to press though.

Thanks for the IP advice! I guess that's what happened to "zipper", "velcro" and others.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 10:35 AM ----------

I've regularly taken a Hero 3 past 330' in the normal housing, not the dive housing, without any problems. Will your mount handle that?

We haven't tested it at those depths but I don't see any problems.

Some provision for a lanyard connecting the camera to the pole would be prudent. Many a GoPro have been lost relying on the mount alone.

Some provision for a lanyard connecting the camera to the pole would be prudent. Many a GoPro have been lost relying on the mount alone.

Good comment! We are planning to have a ring that fits around the GoPro tripod mount (securing it) and latching onto the pole section. The ring around the mount will still allow the camera to rotate. Although, we envisioned this for high speed sports, it should work perfectly for diving too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom