Baptist Lake & Lake 16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone dove these two lakes, whats to see, depth, temp in June, etc. My daughter may have her jr open water dives on one of the lakes.

I don't know Baptist lake but Lake 16 temps in June can be cool - about 55 degrees above 40 feet. As a Jr. certification she won't be going deep in this lake. The lake is around 82 feet deep and about 37 to 42 degrees at the bottom. There are a lot of boats that have been sunk there, all joined together with line but it is cold and very dark. I don't recommend it without experience and good bouyancy control (the bottom is very soft silt that stirs up and hangs there for hours - kick up the bottom and you ruin vis for yourself and others for several days!). It's a great local training dive but best performed in dry suits and good lights. There is a training platform at 15 feet and that is where some instructors will take students. They may take students down to where the platform is anchored but that is only about 30 to 40 feet deep, not too far down and it is still a lot of light there. Don't follow the lines going deeper unless you know what you are doing!

Bob - 50-75 dives in this lake

I have dove both lakes many times in fact we teach all our OW there. I would not teach any OW student at Lake Sixteen much less a Jr student there is usually no vis at the platform and no place for a new diver to swim any distance and work on buoyancy as all the lines are to deep. Baptist Lake has an old pontoon boat at 15’ that makes a nice large platform and then lines running to boats at 17’ and 25’ making a nice triangle to swim and practice buoyancy. There is also a deeper circuit with a boat at 62’ for the more experienced, Baptist also offers better vis and if you stop by the American Dive Zone you can pick up a Map of Baptist.

jtivat,
The American Dive Zone is the shop that I am concidering having my daughter take her Jr. open water from. She recently did the seal team with them. I really liked the way Mike ran the class. It looks like june 9&10 at Baptist lake is the place. Does Baptist Lake warm up by June, what's the vis?

It will be a little chilly still in June the vis will vary but should be around 10' to 15' maybe I will see you there.

Is this the same Baptist Lake that is west of the Village of Sand Lake? I live in Big Rapids and I'm looking for a place within a short drive. By the time I drive to Lake 16 & back home, I have over 3 hours on the road.

heheh, glad to see my map found it's way onto the internet! Anyone been to 16 recently? (possible as an ice dive?) Last time I was there it seemed the lines were in pretty rough shape. I've been thinking about re-lining it lately, using correct cave procedures for training. It's dark enough down there at times, it might as well be a cave. :D

Wayne

parrothead600:
Is this the same Baptist Lake that is west of the Village of Sand Lake? I live in Big Rapids and I'm looking for a place within a short drive. By the time I drive to Lake 16 & back home, I have over 3 hours on the road.

Yup that is the one.

Wayne: I have been worried about posting it witout credit to the artist, so I am happy you checked in. It's not in a public place, but I did host it on the MSRA web site and linked to it from here. I hope that's OK. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom